What to Cook (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm a huge fan of the "where to eat" thread but I hardly ever eat out anymore.

In the past couple of weeks we have cooked the following:

Homemade spinach and mushroom tortellini. Del and I had a stay home date night so we decided to cook. It was good but WAY to labor intensive.

Hot Italian sausage with whole grain penne pasta under homemade vodka sauce.
This was awesome and made plenty for leftovers. Vodka sauce is just a marinara plus vodka and cream.

Salmon Croquettes with a caper dill sauce. This dish is cheap cheap cheap and really good for you. I substitute flax seed meal for bread crumbs and pan fry in olive oil. It serves 4 for like 3 bucks.

White Chili. I cooked this with leftover pulled pork and smoked chicken from tailgate orders. It made a ton so it's a good thing I like it.

Chicken Spaghetti. This was also made with smoked chicken. It puts an intersting twist on an old standby.

Pulled Pork Enchiladas with Verde Sauce. This took care of the last of the leftover pulled pork.

What do you boys and girls feed your families with? I know we have some chefs in the fold.

I picked up a share of grass fed beef a couple weeks back, so I've been cooking a lot of beef.

I did get some homemade sausage from Jimmy's Meat Market on 51 yesterday and threw it on the smoker last night. Sausage and cheese plate for lunch today...

I picked up a share of grass fed beef a couple weeks back, so I've been cooking a lot of beef.

Where did you get it? I would be willing to go in with you next time.

Livingston Springs Farm

You pretty much don't get a say in what you get, but I am pleased enough with my order to do it again... Just from memory:

Chuck Roast
Shoulder Roast
Brisket
Ribs
ribeye x2
t-bone x2
porterhouse
11 lbs ground beef
and a big honkin soup bone that I'm going to make bone broth with this weekend.

that is all i can remember, so it is at least that much.

biggest consideration for most people is that grassfed beef has a different taste and texture than your supermarket corn-fed fare.. have you ever eaten grass fed beef?

Last edited:
have you ever eaten grass fed beef?

Yeah, that's pretty much all they have in Costa Rica. I liked it but didn't eat much of it though. Too busy eating grouper, tuna, and rock lobster.

Grassfed is not my thing....it kills my stomach for some reason.

I have been getting whole premium beef tenderloins at Fresh Market when they go on sale for $11.99lb and they have good marbling in them and a very good taste.

Also this month on Tuesdays they have shrimp and lobster and standing rib roast for 5.99lb. Going to pick me a 15lb roast and dry age that bad boy for a nice new years meal....

Bomar said:
Grassfed is not my thing....it kills my stomach for some reason.

I have been getting whole premium beef tenderloins at Fresh Market when they go on sale for $11.99lb and they have good marbling in them and a very good taste.

Also this month on Tuesdays they have shrimp and lobster and standing rib roast for 5.99lb. Going to pick me a 15lb roast and dry age that bad boy for a nice new years meal....

New Years at Bomar's!

This week started out with me cooking for The Mustard Seed. The menu included pulled pork, baked beans, smoked gouda mac and banana pudding. I have leftovers that will hold me over until Wednesday when I head to Louisiana for Turkey Day.

I will smoke 2 turkeys and a ham Wednesday night and fry 3 more birds Thursday morning. After lunch I'll start a 4 cup roux gumbo with the leftovers. Friday morning will consist of a breakfast from the smallest deer taken.

I flippin love Thanksgiving. What's on y'alls menu?

Didn't even think of this thread last night while I was cooking, but I did some deer sausage on the smoker.... hickory smoked deliciousness.

For those of you that do not know, Jimmy's Gourmet Meats on 51 in Ridgeland processes deer and their homemade sausage is the best I've ever had. Their deer sausage is even more awesome than their pork. Prices are even a bit better than Lee's. So, two thumbs up from this guy for Jimmy's Gourmet Meats both as a meat market and a deer processor.

I had no idea Jimmy's processed deer.

We had burrito night at me casa for Monday Night Football. I set out the fillers and the guests were able to build their own and then I pressed them in a cast iron skillet. It was a huge hit and didn't cost much at all.

Dang I will be in town the first week of Jan....you will have to direct me to that place for some good sausage. Also someone slay a deer and get it there and I will buy some of the sausage from you..

Didn't even think of this thread last night while I was cooking, but I did some deer sausage on the smoker.... hickory smoked deliciousness.

For those of you that do not know, Jimmy's Gourmet Meats on 51 in Ridgeland processes deer and their homemade sausage is the best I've ever had. Their deer sausage is even more awesome than their pork. Prices are even a bit better than Lee's. So, two thumbs up from this guy for Jimmy's Gourmet Meats both as a meat market and a deer processor.

Ribeyes and french fries.

A little bit of heaven, and a little bit of aw yeah (DMB).

JT

First time trying this. I have a hind quarter from the deer I killed a couple of weeks back that I kept for the smoker.

I've had it marinading for the last 3 days in mustard, soy sauce, balsamic, olive oil, garlic and onion. Im going to stuff it with Jalapenos and Bell peppers tonight and put a bit of dry rub on it. I'll get up at the ass crack tomorrow to put about 10 hours of low and slow smoke on it tomorrow... I hope it comes out as awesome as I'm wanting it to!

I cooked Emeril's BBQ Shrimp recipe last night. It takes a little over an hour but well worth it. I served it over butternut squash and had a happy wife.

I'm doing bacon and apple stuffed center cut pork chops tonight.... Will post up pics if they turn out worth a damn and if I can hold off on eating them until I snap a pic or two.

EDIT:

chopsu.jpg

Came out pretty awesome. Did 3 chops about that size. Stuffing was 5 slices of bacon, 3 small apples, half a red onion, a little paprika and some sage. Cooked it down over med-high heat until the bacon was fairly crisp and the onions/apples caramelize, stufffed the chops, seared them off on high heat, finish in the oven at 350 for about 30 minutes. Topped with the remainder of the stuffing.

Last edited:
I cooked a 3.5lb tri tip yesterday for the family and it was good. First time cooking one. Got it at Costco at about $5.35lb.

Nice eat for the price.

Forgot to take a picture.

Also got a whole beef tenderloin to cut up for steaks. Costco meat is good and good price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom