what the heck is going on with the 80 head gaskets? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Timing chain, Head Gasket, Paranoia, here we go again...

I had a toyota truck with a 22RE that ate a timing chain cover, lost the tensioner into the oil pan and the shavings ate main bearings. I had it rebuilt and ran it ANOTHER 250K. Enough said. If my 80 pukes a head gasket at 150k-200k, I'll pull over, have it towed home, fix it, and do another trouble free 150K-200k, without even thinking about it, and it will be MUCH CHEAPER than the 22RE. Everybody say OHHHHMMMM.

Semlin must live in portland....

"where it rained (hard) 55 out of the last 60 days"

Pete483e483 said:
I'm having my trucks third head gasket installed as we speak :frown:

Pete, the suspense is killing us here...what truck...what mileage...what reason for replacing the HG so many times??? :cheers:

turbocruiser said:
Pete, the suspense is killing us here...what truck...what mileage...what reason for replacing the HG so many times??? :cheers:

and...did you get the upgraded head gasket each time you had it replaced?

Is it only US LC's that are having the HG issue or other markets as well?

speyrod said:
Is it only US LC's that are having the HG issue or other markets as well?

I haven't frequented the 80sCool list in a very long time. Up to a couple of years ago, the Aussies were not reporting as many HG issues with the 1FZ-FE engines. Remember that 100% of US engines (93-97) were the 1FZ-FE and a much smaller percentage of Aussie trucks came with the petrol engine. They also don't have EGR and some other emissions related components. Nobody knows for sure what effect the EGR may play but that is a variable.

I think the NATO 1FZ-FE engines had a cast iron head but I am not 100% positive on that.

-B-

Gumby,
There are two things I do not understand about engine design.
1. Why would you ever make the head a different material than the block especially with so many alloys available now.
2. Why would any design an interference engine.
You can add a 84 Toyota Cressida to the good list. 205K and also inline-6.
My 80 now has 175K, smells sweat and steams in the morning. Has done this for 30K miles now but there is no loss of coolant:)

1. Durability and cost of the cast iron block and heat transfer ability of the aluminum head. You can run higher compression and more advanced spark with the aluminum head without detonation problems because it can shed heat a lot faster. You can also shed a lot of weight off the motor.

2. Interferance engines are those where the valve opens into the space where the piston is at TDC. Engineering is a game of comprimise. If you want high valve lift, narrow included angle, high compression, smooth piston tops, hemisherical combustion chamber, and a nice big over square motor, then you are looking at those parts being in the same space, hopefully at different times. If you decide to make the engine a non-interferance engine, you need to comprimise a bit on some of the above. At the same time you are comprimising on a gajillion other things to get the right balance for your product.

That's my non-engineer take on it anyway.

Those are great answers, Gumby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom