What parts should I horde? 4th Gen about to turn 200k (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
She's in great shape and is my daily driver. As things get scarce, and maybe even more scarce, what parts should I stockpile / order now for coming preventive or repair maintenance?
I've got 4 full Oil Change sets, one set of brakes, all the filters and one set of plugs.
I'm thinking water pump, 2 belts, tie boots....what else?

Many thanks to all that contribute. I've learned ton lurking on this site. Thanks Woody especially.

Happened to see you post title when I was posting some parts for sale earlier today. My folks no longer have their '03 4Runner, but my old man still has a pile of parts.

This may have been a crazy question a year ago but not now. My landscaping business has had trouble finding common parts like Kawi and Honda engines not because they are so old but because production is cut back due to lack of help.

I can see that affecting auto parts too.

She's in great shape and is my daily driver. As things get scarce, and maybe even more scarce, what parts should I stockpile / order now for coming preventive or repair maintenance?
I've got 4 full Oil Change sets, one set of brakes, all the filters and one set of plugs.

Many thanks to all that contribute. I've learned ton lurking on this site. Thanks Woody especially.
Our '04 Sport has 270K and remains a daily driver.

Perhaps the best vehicle we have ever owned regarding build quality and reliability. Hope to keep her going for many more years.

abs wires, door lock actuators, coil packs, spare brake accumulator if you can find one cheap, front drive shaft if you have an AWD, tcase actuator.

If you are going to do that you might as well find a wreck and park it in the side yard. Pick away as you please.

My 01 has 285k and I have never had ( the shop) a problem locating parts including a transmission, rad, belts, hoses, etc.

With Covid and the dwindling work force things take longer to get but you will get them.

I would pay more attention to the underside of the vehicle especially the frame. All the bits and pieces you are referencing are available and will be for a long time. The frame however, is no longer in production. If you intend on keeping the vehicle check the frame and invest in Fluid Film. I bought an '06 4Runner, 2UZ in July 2020 as my COVID puzzle. Just finished it up in September and it's back on the road. Removed the frame and cut out all the cancer and had it stripped and E-coated. Good as new. take a look at pic's online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom