What is wrong with my gx? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would not list how much you paid for it and all the prices of everything you did. I would change the ad to just state the price, mileage, and all the good things you have done to it.

You have a couple of things that look bad like the paint and the seats. Also, not everyone likes the mud terrains nor the much higher rear. Anyways, remove all the background and negative information.

Something like this:

2003 GX470 Black with Tan $8K Firm
197k miles and well maintained
Brakes, oil mobil1 full syn, and other items all done in the last 6 months
New master cylinder, booster, abs...just completed
T-Belt done at 137k
Lifted on rear with Stage 2 radflo
Mud terrains 34" BFG km2's like new; 3.5k miles on them
Drives great and would take it cross country without any hesitation

I'm assuming that you put it on craigslist and autotrader for more hits.

I appreciate your input, I was just trying to be completely honest about everything I am selling. I don't want to hide anything. Will look at revamping it tonight or tomorrow evening.

Thank you
Jeremy

I think you got a smoking deal on it to begin with.. that deal was mostly you taking a risk (blown suspension), and you should be able to make up some of your after market costs due to the risk you took..

However, once a prospective buyer sees the good deal you got, they don’t want to be paying you back for your aftermarket investments, especially considering the higher mileage.

People just don’t expect to pay back for lift and tire cost.. just how it goes. Because the super low purchase price is there, I think you’re turning off prospective buyers.

I agree with the previous comment, list it for $8k, say how much you invested into aftermarket and repairs/baseline since you bought it.. But it’s not really anyone’s business what a good deal you got to begin with ($5900).

The other challenge is, I see more people looking for these in TX, CA, OR, and the East Coast. I bought mine near St Louis and had it shipped, which (I think) worked a little in my favor. There just weren’t as many interested buyers for the seller in the central US.

If you find someone interested outside your area who is legit, might be worth considering splitting shipping. I paid $800 to ship mine to the East Coast. We worked it out where we both traded copies of documents and other stuff to be confident the transaction was legit. I can tell you more if you end up getting someone interested in buying out of state.

Oh - also - make sure you have posted a link to your ad to the GXOR Facebook group if you haven’t already. I see a ton of new people on there each week.

Good luck w the sale!

Looking again, I guess someone might also feel like they’ll have timing belt coming up.. you can’t help that, but maybe it’s another upcoming cost scaring off your prospective buyer?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Engine is not a worry at 200k miles, but the other parts like alternator, radiator, water pump, might need refreshing soon if they are still original. This is of course anal preventive maintenance if you typically go far into the woods.

Honestly if we had the money right now i'd be considering it, but sadly we don't. For comparison your truck with all the work and goodies would be a very fair price for the DC metro area. Most of the stock and questionable condition trucks around here are about that price.

Previous replies are very helpful, so fwiw:

Worn interior

As a GX owner, I completely see the value in yours and think yours is priced very fairly; however, from here in NC I would pass simply because of the above. I will say, if I was in your area and looking for a GX, I'd be at your place talking and doing a test drive b/c it is a very fair deal.

A lot of people are interested in the cost of things. Purely subjective and personal, but when I see someone list out the cost of every mod and maintenance, I just go to the next one - b/c I get the sense the seller wants near-full payback and I ain't paying.

I'd also suggest pictures of the mods/work: suspension, new brake stuff, etc; and pictures of the engine bay and chassis/driveline.

Your asking price seems reasonable.

Definitely remove what you paid for the vehicle. If you put that out there, people will expect to pay less than that no matter what.

Remove "firm" and "if I don't get what I want, I'll keep it" from your purchase price. Both of those can make you seem difficult to work with and turn potential buyers off.

GLWS

Thanks for all the input, hopefully fixed all the things needed to get it sold. Also my uncles shop will do the full timing belt, water pump, etc, for the purchaser for $700. Don't know if that would make a difference.

Thank you again everyone. Have a great weekend.
Jeremy

Your location is the main issue. Here in the PNW there’s people selling 80 series north of $15k.

But agree with above. Stay firm on price. Take a trip up here with it and it’ll sell

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom