What is this hydraulic mechanism on rear way bar? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought my 2014 GX460 Luxury with the adjustable suspension last week. I’m still bonding with her and getting used to the ride as im coming from a RX350. I noticed a couple days ago the rear end doesnt sit level. Theres an 11/16” difference in the height between the two sides.
Ive looked underneath and the airbag height adjustment looks correct. What is the hydraulic mechanism on the rear way bar?
7D4A00F7-2BC9-4B3B-8957-6866AB403C5A.jpeg
5F6323E6-65DE-4431-BC36-BECD36983B7F.jpeg

460’s (and a small % of 470’s) are equipped with KDSS…
Toyota’s “Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System”.
As you noted, it’s a hydraulic system that can firm up the front and rear anti-swaybars at speed, and “loosen” them when going very slow over obstacles. It doesn’t function as a sway bar-disconnect, but it does enable more articulation than fixed-mount sways.
It is a very clever and somewhat robust system. The hydraulic control is mounted on the drivers side (US models) frame rail.
NOTE…don’t start mucking around with the control module until you completely understand it. Very expensive repairs could result…

Great color on your 460, BTW.

EDIT…oh yeah, the Toyota Lean has plagued almost everyone. Companies like Treaty Oak sell spacers that work on the lean, and there are some techniques where you can dial out some lean (but again, be very careful with the control box if attempting these). Because the hydraulics “settle out” at a different equilibrium each time you stop the vehicle (depending on how it was last driven and how the fluid is trapped by the shutter valves upon shutdown), your lean will appear to come and go. At least that’s been my experience. I’m sure others will refute this…

Last edited:
Super-clean GX on the underside!

Is that 11/16” measured from ground to wheel arch or center hub to wheel arch? About a half inch of lean to the passenger side is expected with Kdss and equal spring rates between left and right sides (I believe the airbags are connected left and right so they will always be equal pressure). Measuring from the center of the hub will remove any tire geometry influence in height (different pressure, wear, model).

On coil-sprung vehicles with KDSS, the low side can be shimmed to level the vehicle. I haven’t seen anything for an airbag suspension to level it. As mentioned above, the “shutter valve reset” is a temporary band aid and will return to original settings after being driven at low speeds. The treaty oak sway bar spacers do not fix lean. They only prevent the sway bar from contacting anything at full droop on longer travel aftermarket shocks.

All that to say, best course of action may be to ignore it the best you can.

Congrats on your new GX! Looks great (from the rear).
As mentioned above: KDSS or... you or your wife are very heavy (depending upon which side it leans.) :rofl:
Seriously, there are posts on here on how to level it out. If you use search you should find quite a few posts on it. It is a common occurrence but nothing to worry about.

Is that 11/16” measured from ground to wheel arch or center hub to wheel arch? About a half inch of lean to the passenger side is expected with Kdss and equal spring rates between left and right sides (I believe the airbags are connected left and right so they will always be equal pressure). Measuring from the center of the hub will remove any tire geometry influence in height (different pressure, wear, model).

On coil-sprung vehicles with KDSS, the low side can be shimmed to level the vehicle. I haven’t seen anything for an airbag suspension to level it. As mentioned above, the “shutter valve reset” is a temporary band aid and will return to original settings after being driven at low speeds. The treaty oak sway bar spacers do not fix lean. They only prevent the sway bar from contacting anything at full droop on longer travel aftermarket shocks.

All that to say, best course of action may be to ignore it the best you can.
I had measured from the ground to wheel arch. I’ll measure from the hub to the arch next. It sounds like its not anything to worry about, just my detailed eye noticed it the first day it was in our garage. I’ll do my best to ignore. 😬

Thank you all for the complements on her. Shes a super clean example with 85k. Im hoping to remove the pin stripe and the 22” wheels she came on and get her into some dark bronze wheels with a better ride 🤍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom