What is the battery configuration in your Diesel Hilux (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Originally, my truck was set up with dual 750 amp Optima Red Tops. Needing space, I dropped to one and everything was fine. That was, until the temps got down to about 0. Anything over about 10*F was fine. The truck would crank over with glow plugs running, but it just wasn't fast enough to wake her up. I'm not sure on the age of the batteries, but I've used both in single configuration with the same results. Age could definitely be a factor.

Not having room for a second battery right now (I'm going to put a 2nd in the rear soon), I decided to go with the same battery that I recently put in my PD Passat. This is a 900 amp battery. Now, with a single battery, I can run the glow plugs and seemingly crank all day. Of course, if it is 10+ outside, she usually fires right up.

Glow plugs are on a toggle.

What are you running in yours?

That was the next place I was going to go...I was going to ask who has used alternative alternator/vacuum pump setups. I recelty replaced mine, but was thinking it would be much easier to run an electric pump and maybe a GM alt.

I'm running a completely stock setup, rebuilt alternator and rebuilt starter. Was cranking slow when the temperature dropped but a starter rebuild has it cranking fast again, only running 2 - 600 CCA batteries during the rebuild but everything seems good with the charging/starting system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom