1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the 1HD-FTE on rough 3rd world fuel?

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by jvoelcker, Aug 23, 2006.

1. jvoelcker

jvoelcker

Hi,

I'm just wondering what people's experiences are of running their
    diesel 100 series on rough old fuel as found in the 3rd world countries
    or dodgey outback suppliers?

OK, I appreciate that if you are going to those sorts of areas it is
    worth making sure you have some decent filters installed, however once
    it has gone past the filters how does the fuel system cope with varying
    levels of fuel quality as opposed to the way a 1HD-FT would cope?

2. Jim_Chow

Jim_Chow

Us Yanks aren't fortunate enough to be driving HDJ100's and HZJ105's. All we can do is drool. Is there a water separator in the HZJ/HDJ?

3. nickw

nickw

Cruiser_guy is from Canada, but for the last 2 years he has living in Guatemala.
    I don't think he notices a difference when driving and running 3rd world diesel.
    He drives back and forth to Canada at least once a year.

But he did say its doing a number on his injectors.
    They are wearing out much faster.
    I am guessing because there is not enough lube in the diesel.
    And he does run a fuel conditioner all the time.

So I imagine the same would happen with your truck.
    Personally I always run a good fuel additive in my 1HD-T.
    I have tried a few and I like the Stanadyne conditioner.
    Somewhat expensive, but worth it.

Cheers,
    Nick

4. NMuzj100

NMuzj100

You might get better help in the Diesel Forum.

Good Luck.

5. SamoL

SamoL

I've been Morroco and Tunisia with my HDJ100 and generally diesel fuel is not that bad in northeren Africa. I've got much worse fuel once in Slovenia!
    Generally these engines should run on any diesel fuel that any other diesel engine would be satified with. This is of course not true for new D4-D engines from Toyota, which on the other hand have much better MPG. From 2007 on it will not be possible to register a new car that will not meet EURO4 standards, which means that only common rail and simmilar modern diesels will be allowed.

Regards
    Samo

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. jvoelcker

jvoelcker

Hi Samo,

THat's useful to know.

Just had a peek at your site, shame it's not in English:) I'm hoping to get out there next spring (April) for about 3-4weeks and am trying to guage how much you can get to see in that time.

From what I can tell from your route you managed to see a fair amount in just the 14 days. Were you driving every day or not?

The more I look into, it the more likely I will get a 100series. I love my 80, but I think the 100 would suit what I want to do as well as provide improved drivability on a day to day basis.

Just looking at your photos (very good by the way), what mods did you do to the 100 and also with four of you, how did you arrange the sleeping - I'm guessing two in the car and two on the roof?

7. jvoelcker

jvoelcker

I have friends over here raving about Millers fuel additive, but I've never really seen the point because they have never been able to provide supporting evidence i.e. since moving to the additive my injectors last a lot longer.

I may well consider it in the future when abroad.

When in the UK I run on 100% biodiesel which has good lubrication so not that fussed.

8. SamoL

SamoL

Three to four weeks will be fine. In that time you will be able to see the most of the interesting things. You might find that there is a lot of water in a desert ;). In Mai the popular desert places near Algerian borders might be flooded :).
    In 14 days we had one day without driving. We only got 18 days off, so 14 days was all we had available in Morroco (and 4 to get there and back).
    My 100 had at that time a snorkel (a must for desert driving), "sliders" (not actualy for rock sliding, but for lifting the car with a Hi-Lift jack), konis and some details (like pin 7 mod and ABS mod - I really suggest also this one for desert driving).
    What it didn't have were stronger coils at the back and that was the root of all evil (lack of travel caused a puncture and a tire fixed by the locals was not very reliable - that caused the second puncture, which forced us to pass one offroad "stage").
    Now I have OME 865 coils on the back (but I guess it would be better to have 866 when the car is really loaded) and 5x MT/R 265/75R16 on 6.5x16 Toyota steel rims. I will test this new setup this november in Tunisia. In Morocco I suggest tires that are puncture resistant and that can take a lot of stone punishement. If you have only one spare with you, it is also important, that it is not hard to source a spare tire - 235/85R16 are the easiest to source and have the same diameter as 265/75R16.

We always sleep on the roof - all four of us. The tent is 180x200cm which is just about enough for 4.

Regards
    Samo

9. SamoL

SamoL

And how many injectors have you changed so far? My HDJ100 has 200000 km and still running on the first set.

Biodiesel? I've heard that biodiesel is not the best fuel you can get - as it can destroy rubber hoses and rubber sealings. Some people (mostly in Germany) have modified their cars (also HDJ100) to run on plain vegetable oil, which is supposed to be better (but can't be used in an unmodified car - well at least not in most of them - some guys use it in a LC75 and it runs fine).

How many km have you done on biodiesel?

Regards

Samo

10. SamoL

SamoL

What I forgot to say is that in Morocco (as in many Balkan countries including Greece) you can buy eurodiesel and D2. I've always used D2 when available. Engine didn't complain. Eurodiesel was not arround when this engnine was designed ;)

Regards
    Samo

11. jvoelcker

jvoelcker

Hi Samo,

Thanks for the info on the trip.

I'll be going for a full suspension upgrade from the outset, but as yet haven't decided on which setup to go for.

With regards injector life, the percieved wisdom is to get them serviced along with the fuel pump every 100,000miles. The injectors may well require new nozzles to improve spray patterns and both the injectors and the pump usually could do with recallibrating.

As for Biodiesel, it can cause problems with the hoses in older vehicles, but I've not heard of any problems with vehicles made in the last 10-15 years.

I have been running my '94 80 series for about the last 20,000miles without to many problems. Usually the first problem you have is that you can end up with blocked filters after the first tank or two - the biodiesel 'cleans' your fuel system clearing out any built up sludge which all ends up in the filter.

Fortunately my fuel system was pretty clean so I didn't have any problems, but I know of other that have.

Once you have got over that the only other main issue is the consistancy of the supply. My supplier tends to make it in small batches and they can vary a bit, but he is getting better at it and is allso upping his production to make it in larger batches so hopefully the consistancy will improve.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">