What is killing my 200? (2013)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Threads
24
Messages
82
Location
Boston
My 2013 has been in the shop for 3 weeks and no one has any answers or fixes to the following issue. I’ll explain it best I can from the start, I’m waiting on the actual codes and text that showed up during the repairs.

It started when I noticed a power fluctuation on the battery gauge, it was bouncing between 9 and 12 volts. This has happened before due to some buildup on the negative terminal so I didn’t think much of it as it was something I could tend to when I got home. I then noticed that if I applied the brakes in like a panic stop or just a little harder then normal my nav screen shuts off and turns back on (this was like less then half a second). I would lose power steering but the engine wouldn’t shut off, just the nav screen as almost a “reboot”.

After a few days of this I popped the hood, disconnected the battery, cleaned the terminals which looked fine to be honest. When I hooked everything back up the nav screen was now completely dead.

I checked all my fuses and then turned it in to the Toyota dealership where it’s been for the last 3 weeks.

What they’ve done so far:

They determined the screen was not getting power so it was sent to a third party for testing before getting a brand new one. It failed so a new head unit was installed.

This new head unit is now saying the hard drive cannot be read. The existing hard drive was swapped out with another 200 series that was also in the shop and still the same issue, it’s not reading it.

I’m waiting on the actual codes that came up and the actual text that was coming up on the screen, I’ll add that in the comments when it comes.

Has anyone else dealt with an issue like this?
 
Any issue with water intrusion / leaking during rain or car wash?

The connections in the footwell can corrode causing various electrical issues.

Take a look at this post

 
Any issue with water intrusion / leaking during rain or car wash?

The connections in the footwell can corrode causing various electrical issues.

Take a look at this post


I did notice some on the passenger front seat floor before this happened. I’ll forward this along to them, thank you for your reply.
 
Last edited:
Any advice on where to look? They’ve been trying to hunt it down for some time now.

See 0:46 of the above video. Remove the bolt and disconnect the connector.

There is a one in the driver and passenger side footwell.
 
This may seem too simple, but I did have a similar issue on my 2013. Had a Baja Design lightbar installed, and during the process of installation, had disocnnected the battery. When reconnected, had the same issue. Battery was brand new, screen would go blank, voltage display similar to yours with flucations, braking hard would cause disruption. Even replaced battery with another new one......same results. Issue was actually corrosion on the wire terminals that connect to the battery terminals. The battery terminals from the older battery had corrosion, which had made its way to the terminal ends. Cleaned all those up, good as new. May be something that simple. We were load testing, alternator testing, battery testing, chasing wires with volt/amp meters. Turned out to be simple corrosion between the wire eyelets under the wingnuts on the battery terminals. Hope that helps.
 
Codes are:

U015587
U014087
U016387

All of these are communication codes.

Possibly the CAN_H or CAN_L signal is shorting to ground through a corroded connector. Did you pull those connectors and inspect?
 
All of these are communication codes.

Possibly the CAN_H or CAN_L signal is shorting to ground through a corroded connector. Did you pull those connectors and inspect?
It’s been at the local Toyota dealership for the last 3 weeks. I’m just trying to forward info over there because it seems they are out of ideas to an extent. I do wonder why no one there just posted this problem to this forum just for another set of eyes within the collective Land Cruiser fandom. But I digress.
 
Did they pull those connectors and inspect?
 
Any issue with water intrusion / leaking during rain or car wash?

The connections in the footwell can corrode causing various electrical issues.

Take a look at this post


Those checked out fine yesterday.
 
See 0:46 of the above video. Remove the bolt and disconnect the connector.

There is a one in the driver and passenger side footwell.
Still nothing, those checked out
Codes aren't that helpful with wiring related issues, aside from helping to narrow down where the issue might be. Also, dealers always aren't the best at this stuff, as they mostly work on newer vehicles where these issues don't crop up much. Check grounds first, then work through the
I just don’t have any time to turn my own wrenches anymore so this has to get sent out. Im getting it back Monday, going to try and hunker down for the day and get to all the things that reddit and this forum have suggested. Really need some toyota savant around here to bail me out. It’s been a month now.
 
This sounds like it's a wiring issue, which are usually ground-related (since grounds tend to be more exposed to the elements) when multiple things are affected, since things share grounds. As others have said, other connectors in places where they can get wet can also be an issue. The codes aren't going to be too helpful, other than helping to narrow down where to look for the problem, but you already know that the power steering, brakes and head unit are impacted.

Honestly, from your description, I don't have a lot of faith in your dealership. It seems pretty clear from what you are describing that something in the wiring has too much resistance and that voltage is dropping enough for the screen to turn off. I have no idea how they could think that a bad nav screen was causing a loss of power steering . . .

They should check for common grounds shared by the head unit, power steering and brakes. A frame to body ground connection would be a likely culprit.
 
This sounds like it's a wiring issue, which are usually ground-related (since grounds tend to be more exposed to the elements) when multiple things are affected, since things share grounds. As others have said, other connectors in places where they can get wet can also be an issue. The codes aren't going to be too helpful, other than helping to narrow down where to look for the problem, but you already know that the power steering, brakes and head unit are impacted.

Honestly, from your description, I don't have a lot of faith in your dealership. It seems pretty clear from what you are describing that something in the wiring has too much resistance and that voltage is dropping enough for the screen to turn off. I have no idea how they could think that a bad nav screen was causing a loss of power steering . . .

They should check for common grounds shared by the head unit, power steering and brakes. A frame to body ground connection would be a likely culprit.
I’ll definitely be checking this and if I can’t find anything I’ll forward this info to the next shop. Thank you so much for your insight.
 
I’ll definitely be checking this and if I can’t find anything I’ll forward this info to the next shop. Thank you so much for your insight.
And just to be Captain Obvious, be sure to find and fix the water leak. Clogged sunroof drains, leaky windshield, and cowl leaks are often suspects.
 
Back
Top Bottom