What is it worth? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm currently sitting with two older cars for myself - the 93 F150 and the 1996 FZJ80. My life is getting busy enough that I don't have time to properly and maintain and work on both of them (we have two little ones under 4). Currently my wife's 100 is up on stands in the garage while I rebuild the front end so she has been driving the kids around in my trail rig - the 96 80. The paint is worn and it has trail damage but it drives great - for a trail rig. Its loud and dirty and I think my wife is a bit embarrassed to be seen driving around in it (I don't blame her!). I love it to death but I'm having trouble justifying spending time fixing it up to driver quality regularly.

I'm considering selling the F150 and the FZJ80 and getting into a newer F150 crew cab as my vehicle. Down the line I'd get back into 4x4ing when the kids care older with probably a Samurai so it can be strictly a trail truck that is trailered to and from - that way I won't have to worry about keeping it roadworthy.

To help me make a decision I need to think about what I could possibly get for my cruiser. Here's the deal:

1996 FZJ80 - 225k mi

The Good:
- Very well cared for mechanically and always with OEM parts - starts reliably and drives well
- Triple locked (factory locker truck)
- Lots of recent work in the last few years/within 25k mi:
-- Headgasket
-- Engine reseal - all seals other than rear main
-- Timing chain guide
-- All new coolant hoses (including PHH)
-- New TREs on the front
-- Full Knuckle rebuilds done 10k mi ago
-- New Toyota radiator
-- New Toyota oxygen sensors
-- Ignition tune-up - plugs, cap/rotor
-- Rear output shaft seal, reseal transfer case
-- New Denso alternator
-- Brake system flush
-- All fluids/lube points kept up on schedule
-- Carpet replaced with vinyl floors from Australia
-- Interior in pretty good shape. No seat tears in stitching (just egress wear)
- NO RUST, NO WATER LEAKS

Mods:
- BumpItOffRoad Rear bumper with tire carrier
- BumpItOffRoad sliders
- MAF transfer/transmission skid plate
- BFG 33" M/Ts - they are old but still have lots of tread on them. Wouldn't daily drive b/c of age
- FJ Steelies (also have original wheels too)
- Cobra CB + 4' Firestik
- York OBA mod with tank for trail air-up, includes oil separator in line and braided steel output hoses
- Storage system - 3 drawers for tools, recovery gear
- CDL button/pin7 mod
- Custom 2.5 exhaust rerouted with trail protection in mind

The Bad:
- Slight blue smoke at startup (1-2 sec) after sitting for a while - worn valve seals
- Trail damage: front bumper, both front fenders, DSF door, DSR/PSR door handles, DS rear quarter
- Trail-deflared. I have plugged the holes with stainless bolts and rubber washers
- Slow leak in AC system (refill every 2-3 years - currently troubleshooting)
- Seats are actually in pretty good shape but some leather panel has hardened a bit
- Paint is well worn and peeling on hood and roof. I have a rattle can of color-matched touch up and clear coat I never got around to putting on

Basically, this is a trail toy that has been well cared for and is ready to go mechanically. But I have no idea what that's worth. I would obviously sell it to an enthusiast who is going to wheel it. I don't think there is any market on craigslist for this truck. Love to know what you guys think!

Last edited:
Some Pics
2012-09-08%2017.37.11.jpg

2012-09-30%2014.03.45.jpg

DSC_0271.JPG

DSC_0079.JPG

Cosmetically it's a little rough, but it those are good mods and it sounds like you have been taking care of it. I would start somewhere in the 8-9K range and be willing to wiggle a bit. A younger guy with more free time and no kids is going to love that thing and there are enough things left to do for him to feel like he did something productive. Could be more, but I, personally, am always cautious about things that have been modified and used off road. I am 41 though and cautious old man brain has already set in for me.

I would toss a decent used stock bumper on there just to make it look a little nicer. They are cheap and it would help with the curb appeal.

It is a nice rig though, so don't give it away if you can't get to a number that makes sense for what you have into it. GLWTS!

Thanks - your thoughts echo mine about pricing a modified rig - I am very particular and I honestly wouldn't consider buying a modified truck but I am also a DIY guy with exacting standards who enjoys a project - I realize that is not everyone.

I'm just thinking at this point. It makes me kinda sick to sell it. I have so much time, energy, and money into it and it is dialed in just where I like it. Only change would be a 4" lift but as of right now it has gone everywhere I needed it to and put many heavily lifted trucks to shame.

However, it is a big vehicle and trailering it isn't really a reasonable thing to do, at least for the class of vehicles I'm looking at. Keeping it around as a trail only rig while keeping it maintained and road worthy to keep registered just seems a bit silly considering I don't really drive it more than once or twice a month. And financially I need to sell both to get enough to even consider a newer vehicle that won't require the same amount of care and maintenance.

The other thing I have to consider is whether in the future something small like a Suzuki will work for me. I liked the idea of simplicity, small size and weight, and cheap parts. But I have been so spoiled by wheeling in comfort with coil springs and good AC!

Thanks - your thoughts echo mine about pricing a modified rig - I am very particular and I honestly wouldn't consider buying a modified truck but I am also a DIY guy with exacting standards who enjoys a project - I realize that is not everyone.

I'm just thinking at this point. It makes me kinda sick to sell it. I have so much time, energy, and money into it and it is dialed in just where I like it. Only change would be a 4" lift but as of right now it has gone everywhere I needed it to and put many heavily lifted trucks to shame.

However, it is a big vehicle and trailering it isn't really a reasonable thing to do, at least for the class of vehicles I'm looking at. Keeping it around as a trail only rig while keeping it maintained and road worthy to keep registered just seems a bit silly considering I don't really drive it more than once or twice a month. And financially I need to sell both to get enough to even consider a newer vehicle that won't require the same amount of care and maintenance.

The other thing I have to consider is whether in the future something small like a Suzuki will work for me. I liked the idea of simplicity, small size and weight, and cheap parts. But I have been so spoiled by wheeling in comfort with coil springs and good AC!

All good points but keep in mind that 80's in general are going up in value and they only sold around 80,000 of them in the US. The chances of finding another one down the road like the one you have in hand for a reasonable price will diminish with every year. If you are on the fence, I would keep it. If it were me, I would be thinking of ways that I could replace the money you get from the Cruiser by doing some side work or selling a bunch of other stuff that you don't use much anyway and will be less likely to use for the next few years until your kids are old enough to join you. For me that would mean carpentry jobs and selling homes on the side and selling bikes, skis, boats, etc. I do that anyway and it's just normal life for me and the way that I afford my Cruiser and anything else that falls into the "don't need but want" category. Vacations and nice things for the home and for your kids would fall into that category too.

Make a plan, give it a couple months to pull it together and then see where you are. In the short run, you should be able to find something newer, more reliable and practical if you sell the F150 and a couple other things. Something like a Subaru wagon or a Camry would do for a little while as you focus on the family. In a few years you can re-assess and if you keep the Cruiser in the shape it is now, it's not likely to go down in value.

If you can get through this patch, you could use the hundy or the 80 to tow another small trail rig, if you even still want one one once your kids are old enough to go with you.

What type of shape is the F150 in? Is it 4WD? A rust free truck of that vintage is a $5000 truck all day where I live. You could advertise that in northernish cities within a day's drive of Nashville that are in the rust belt and I bet you could make more if you were willing to make a weekend out of the sale to meet someone further north for the sale. I live way up north, so it would be too far for me, but for someone in Milwaukee or Chicago, that might be a reasonable option if it was a nice truck.

What type of shape is the F150 in? Is it 4WD? A rust free truck of that vintage is a $5000 truck all day where I live. You could advertise that in northernish cities within a day's drive of Nashville that are in the rust belt and I bet you could make more if you were willing to make a weekend out of the sale to meet someone further north for the sale. I live way up north, so it would be too far for me, but for someone in Milwaukee or Chicago, that might be a reasonable option if it was a nice truck.

Its a 93 XLT, 2WD, 302. It has a F-250 HD ZF 5-speed in it and is all sorted. It is in good shape other than a few normal wear spots on the paint. I don't think the paint was a clear coat so it is a bit dull but shows well after clay bar and wax. Engine was rebuilt completely a few years ago by me and balanced. Only issue is some oil leakage (it is an old ford after all). There was very light surface rust when I got it but I pulled the bed and sanded and painted the frame. I would consider it a no rust truck.

That's a good idea. I may post it up and start with selling that. I will probably have it fully detailed before I get it ready for sale.

Its a 93 XLT, 2WD, 302. It has a F-250 HD ZF 5-speed in it and is all sorted. It is in good shape other than a few normal wear spots on the paint. I don't think the paint was a clear coat so it is a bit dull but shows well after clay bar and wax. Engine was rebuilt completely a few years ago by me and balanced. Only issue is some oil leakage (it is an old ford after all). There was very light surface rust when I got it but I pulled the bed and sanded and painted the frame. I would consider it a no rust truck.

That's a good idea. I may post it up and start with selling that. I will probably have it fully detailed before I get it ready for sale.
That sounds like a sweet truck to be honest. I am not really an American truck guy, but I have always liked Fords and there are a lot of people that love them. Trucks get rusty in a hurry up here and something like that where I live would turn heads. I would start there and see where you end up before I got jumpy about selling the 80 just yet.

Great color on the truck, wish I could get another but the wife won't let me currently.
Yes, I forgot to mention the Moonglow. Between that and the 3X locked, this one is a rare bird, for sure. I wonder if a guy with a rubber mallet couldn't bang some of those dents out to make it look just a little less trail riggy?

My two cents: You are crazy. Sell the FORD and keep the 80. You have two kids under 4. Use the 80 to make memories.

Your kids will grow up to send you texts like this:

IMG_2435.PNG
IMG_2436.PNG
IMG_2437.PNG

He grew up in a Land Cruiser. Memories have been made in a Land Cruiser. He will only drive a Land Cruiser.

Yes, I forgot to mention the Moonglow. Between that and the 3X locked, this one is a rare bird, for sure. I wonder if a guy with a rubber mallet couldn't bang some of those dents out to make it look just a little less trail riggy?

I did my darndest at banging out the fenders where they were bad. The last trip left a big dent in the rear left quarter panel that would probably require drilling, welding, and pulling to fix. Lots of money. Other items could really be fixed with replacement and painted fenders and a door.

My two cents: You are crazy. Sell the FORD and keep the 80. You have two kids under 4. Use the 80 to make memories.

Your kids will grow up to send you texts like this:

View attachment 1515716 View attachment 1515717 View attachment 1515718

He grew up in a Land Cruiser. Memories have been made in a Land Cruiser. He will only drive a Land Cruiser.
That is friggin' sweet. It's true though. My Dad was/is a van man and I still have a total soft spot for pretty much any van, including the dreaded mini van. Two of my most lusted after vehicles are the All-Trac Previa and the venerable Toyota Moon Bus Van from the 80's with the true 4WD, 5 speed with the available built in fridge option. That stuff sticks :)

I did my darndest at banging out the fenders where they were bad. The last trip left a big dent in the rear left quarter panel that would probably require drilling, welding, and pulling to fix. Lots of money. Other items could really be fixed with replacement and painted fenders and a door.
Meh, not worth it then. Still looks good enough. Maybe touch up any cracks and call it good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom