What is a good GRMS antenna that doesn't wiggle in the wind? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is a good GRMS antenna that doesn't wiggle in the wind?

I put this grms midland antenna that has a 6db gain on my front bull bar and it wiggles in the wind and is distracting.

Can move it to my rear tire carrier or would it loose much signal there?

Is there a better one out there that doesn't wiggle? I see the short one but it only has 2dbi gain vs 6.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Amazon product ASIN B084BPXNC5

I simply using a small (magnetic base) antenna that sets on the forward portion of my roof rack. It’s only about 10” high.

I have one of these. Several manufacturers. Mine is Midland branded one.

A71537C5-7028-4B63-9B34-5C441F75A44E.jpeg

1648343460198.jpeg

That one I have now is a Midland with 6db gaine .. and the small stubby Midland has 2 db gain.

With the GMRS 50 watt is there much difference if the antenna is 2 bd gain vs 6 db gain?

I was kind of looking around for one of these but haven't found one at a normal price.

grms-antenna.jpg

I run a simple little 6" tall 1/4 wave, I have other antennas, including "gain" antennas, but i keep coming back to the little 1/4 wave, it just works.

Thanks... that is what I did I went back to the stubby.

The other tall ones will be back available in a couple months .. but they are like $200 vs $40

I run a simple little 6" tall 1/4 wave, I have other antennas, including "gain" antennas, but i keep coming back to the little 1/4 wave, it just works.

antennas-01.jpg

Oh you got the ghost, sorry for confusion, I run a 1/4 wave wire antenna up high. Since there only $6 I keep an extra in the glove box just in case I catch a branch,

62411.jpeg

What is a good GRMS antenna that doesn't wiggle in the wind?

I put this grms midland antenna that has a 6db gain on my front bull bar and it wiggles in the wind and is distracting.

Can move it to my rear tire carrier or would it loose much signal there?

Is there a better one out there that doesn't wiggle? I see the short one but it only has 2dbi gain vs 6.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Amazon product ASIN B084BPXNC5
I was thinking about using this antenna when I get an MXT275. But I was going to add a gamiviti bracket and run it about midway up the hood on the passenger side. Does it really wiggle that much that it would be distracting there?

I was thinking about using this antenna when I get an MXT275. But I was going to add a gamiviti bracket and run it about midway up the hood on the passenger side. Does it really wiggle that much that it would be distracting there?

Oh yeh!

Enough to swap it out for the Stubby.

Since I have both I was going to run some tests to see what the difference in Range is when I'm out in the Mojave next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom