What have you done with/to your buggy this week? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am going to throw my .02 cents in. I needed tires last year for my buggy build. It is based on a 93 Toyota ladcruiser, I only wheel in the northeast. I found a set of 38" Black label Patagonias for 300 per tire, I snatched them up. They were the only tires I could find. I am not impressed with them. I typically run them at 5 PSI. They work good, if it is hot and dry. Not so great when the temp falls or you need to run in the wet or mud. The Black label is not a true sticky. I am looking to replace them with either Reds or possibly a Mickey Thompson tire. I am not knocking the patagonias, just giving me feedback from the Northeast.

I am going to throw my .02 cents in. I needed tires last year for my buggy build. It is based on a 93 Toyota ladcruiser, I only wheel in the northeast. I found a set of 38" Black label Patagonias for 300 per tire, I snatched them up. They were the only tires I could find. I am not impressed with them. I typically run them at 5 PSI. They work good, if it is hot and dry. Not so great when the temp falls or you need to run in the wet or mud. The Black label is not a true sticky. I am looking to replace them with either Reds or possibly a Mickey Thompson tire. I am not knocking the patagonias, just giving me feedback from the Northeast.
Wet terrain is one of the reasons for the new MT02 compound.

and I agree, the Black is marginally stickier than the non. I'm hoping to influence that.

At the end of the day, NO tire is perfect for all terrains. Reds suck in cold too, so keep that in mind...particularly below freezing.

Thanks for the feedback on the reds. Really not sure what tire I am going to run, not sure I want to pay for Treps. I have not gotten into snow wheeling yet, Its hard to find a tire for the Northeast. Must tire reviews and videos are from out west. I have watched some of the clips of the stuff you do with your patagonias and its impressive as hell.

Thanks for the feedback on the reds. Really not sure what tire I am going to run, not sure I want to pay for Treps. I have not gotten into snow wheeling yet, Its hard to find a tire for the Northeast. Must tire reviews and videos are from out west. I have watched some of the clips of the stuff you do with your patagonias and its impressive as hell.
IMO, one of the best oversize snow tires is the Dick Cepek FCII....they've been around forever, and are wide flotation tires that work great in deep snow. Check out what they use on the Iceland trucks :) I (oddly) had good luck with the 14.5 wide 38" SX's back in the day too....airing down to 1psi or so :) I believe I siped that set of tires....lots of "trapping" edges are what make a good snow/wet wheeling tire.

The Milestar rockcrawling team is local...they not only grooved the centers but siped the center lugs for wet/slick traction and swear by it. I know snow-plow trucks in WI always siped their tires, even tires that were already good in wet/snow. Makes a huge difference. BUT...only sipe the center 50-60%, leave the outers alone.

Couple of Pics!

IMG_1964.JPG
IMG_1964.JPG
IMG_1966.JPG
IMG_1967.JPG

Cool weather at Sand Hollow means a few extra bumps for the bonus climbs :)

Cool weather at Sand Hollow means a few extra bumps for the bonus climbs :)

You guys drive sooooooo slooooow!!!!! haha

Thanks for posting up Brian.

So, the DOT compound Milestar Patagonia MT02's are impressive....busy morning: ran the SuperCrawl 2021 Shootout lines, ran the 2021 TrailBreaker LCQ course, and ran the 2019 TrailBreaker course (Red Dot). Simply stupid level stuff.

The tires are 42" tall. This drop is BIG, and undercut, so your drivers front tire just hangs...and then falls....

stuck the landing :)

TrailBreaker2019.jpg

It’s not going to be a real buggy but it’s not going to be much FJ40 either… but this year I’m finally building what i’ve wanted for a few years, a FJ40-style trailered rock crawler so i can do some big boy trails without being worrying about what I’ll do if I smash a window out. 😁

Very excited to attempt the Honda Odyssey + 904 adapter, as well as use Brennan M aka @Mieser super nice D300 shorty park delete kit I bought early last year.

A3FE8EE3-F73E-43F4-8CCA-CE55774B4B81.jpeg

69E847C3-1642-43CA-A38F-E67AA71B5035.jpeg

BD0F4AE4-4ADC-4E18-A65A-1BCC50674AE9.jpeg

39A63727-0FF4-4114-8AAE-1A26CD3C581F.jpeg

E57FC817-C35F-46CA-93A9-54EFBC6E91AB.jpeg

Last edited:
Built/installed a Midnight Metalworks D300 case....allowed me to use the 32-spl front and rear outputs I already had, and choose between the stock 2.6 gears or 4:1's. Because of the portals and my setup, I stuck with my existing 2.6 gears.

MM300.jpg

Built/installed a Midnight Metalworks D300 case....allowed me to use the 32-spl front and rear outputs I already had, and choose between the stock 2.6 gears or 4:1's. Because of the portals and my setup, I stuck with my existing 2.6 gears.

View attachment 2885231
So is this like a stock Atlas case in comparison? Just use the internals from a 300? Kind of like the old Warden 40 case?

What'd you break, @raisinhell2?
Frt locker or ring and pinion. Prob broke them back in aug with the rest of the crappy parts .. 1st Big rock I tried to climb it started making noise and grabbing then releshing Its getting welded up too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom