What do you think...04 GX470 $5K (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While I was searching for a LX470 or Landcruiser, someone offered me this GX470. I don’t know anything about them but I started reading up in the 120 threads.

Here’s the description I’ve gotten so far. Any input would be appreciated. Im going to look at it on Saturday.

Description from owner:
“I have a 2004 Lexus GX 470 with 135,000 miles that I’m selling if you’re interested. It comes with a full set of studded snow tires as well that have only seen one season. $5,000. She’s been an awesome truck for me! I was the second owner - first owners were a retired couple that put all of 30,000 miles on it before I bought it from them. Let me know if you’re interested.”

And

“Mostly highway miles, 2nd owner, no accidents, no tears or rips in seats, no cracks in dash, almost new high end tires 2 years old and a set of high end studded winter tires 1 season.

Full disclosure it needs a paint job or at a minimum, just the hood, the previous owners, a retired couple in their 70s towed it behind their RV while traveling around the US and rocks got kicked behind the RV and messed up the paint on the hood. Other than that, the only thing is the sunroof doesn’t open...”

If you can verify the miles, the no accidents, and the maintenance, it sounds like a great deal.

You could always paint the hood only if the rock damage is limited to that area.

When something seems like a great deal, verify and confirm the details. Run the vin # on Lexus.com for repair history at Lexus dealers

Good points, I need to keep that in mind when looking at it. Funny thing, she didn’t realize/remember contacting me and saying $5k. Then later in another message/forum said she was posting it for $6.5k. Still possibly a good deal at the higher price but ultimately she realized it was me and said she’d honor the $5k. Anyway, it could be a good deal if it’s as she claims. I need to ask about maintenance but I thought I’d just go look and talk.

Take your smartphone with you and run the vin # at Lexus Owners Site | Lexus Drivers if they maintained it at Lexus. Lexus gives you the dealer service history.

If not, run the vin # at carfax.com just to get peace of mind on the miles and accidents. $5k sounds great. $6.5k sounds good.

You will drop some coin on maintenance and repairs. More coin on upgrades.

Really helps to have that information. I figure even if I have to do the basic fluids and suspension work, I’m still coming out ahead - again if, like you said, after verifying miles, no accidents, maintenance.

Update: Checked the car out 3/17/2018
Notes while inspecting it:
  • California car
  • No rust anywhere
  • No nav, no video screen
  • Drives smooth, lots of power but I’m used to straight 6s
  • Good braking, a little touchy but I’m used to much older vehicles
  • May wander a slight bit at highway speeds, not very noticeable but it’s there. Is this normal for a tallish, skinny vehicle? The ride was set to “comfort” 2nd click over
  • Front bumper is dented, owner claims husband hit sapling while out on a trail 4 wheeling for his first time.
  • Carfax shows one front end accident, without deployment of airbags. Not sure if there was more than one accident at this point. Either they reported that as an accident and didn’t fix it, or they had another accident they reported also.
  • Front hood is peeling, but only the hood. It can be repainted or replace the hood with used one. Got this way during 2nd ownership
  • Sides of rear bumper are scaped to the black primer layer. I don’t know what caused that but she claimed it was from bushes on the trails she 4 wheeled.
  • it’s really dirty inside and out including on top of engine cover, but not the engine as far as I could tell. There is dirt and black marks everywhere. I hope it can be detailed out
  • It smells musty
  • 3 owners: leased the first year and sold at 10k miles to private party. 2nd owner had it until 60K miles, regularly maintained by Lexus dealer up to that point, oil and filter changed every 5k up to 65k miles (Does anyone know if Lexus does synthetic oil only). 3rd owner verbally stated the maintainence was performed at a shop with a Lexus trained mechanic
  • She is getting the records faxed to me from the shop she used
  • I couldn’t shift into 2L but this could be operator error. I tried putting it into 4low and 4hi and neither would allow shifting into 2L. The owner said you have to shift the low/high gear to neutral in order to engage the 2L.
  • Passenger seat doesn’t allow moving seat up/down. It will allow tilting and back/ forward. I think this is normal.
  • Sunroof doesn’t work. She states it clunked a whole bunch and stopped working. Sounds like cables?
  • Couldn’t tell much difference when adjusting comfort ride setting.
  • Center diff lock made clunk sound after center lock button released and moving forward.
  • Height control goes to “N” when driving after setting it to high or low. I think this is normal?
Maintenance & Repairs:
133.7K - vehicle serviced, no details
133.2K - oil and filter, body lubricated, tranny fluid changed
131K - vehicle serviced but no details (probably oil and filter)
130K - passed emissions
126K - recall alert for side curtain airbag control module, recall not yet done
New tires
110K - passed emissions
90k - timing belt (will confirm with shop records, wasn’t done at the dealer)
76K - passed emissions
65K - stabilizer bar bushing torn, both side links ball socket boots torn causing water to get into it, both front and rear shocks leaking. Radiator leaking
- Replaced stabilizer bushings and links misc
- Replaced front and rear shocks
- Replaced radiator
60K - 4 wheel alignment performed but owner notes it pulls to the right and inside of tires are worn. Cross rotated tires but still pulls to the right. Other recommended service not done
59.7K - new owner, passed emissions
58K - failed emissions, then passed with no further details
55K - oil and filter
50K - oil and filter
45K - oil and filter
40K - oil and filter, replaced battery, front and rear diff and transfer case service (does this mean oil was changed?), P/S flush service
35k - oil and filter, misc. brake concern, deglazed brakes
28K - oil and filter, lubricated front driveshaft bushings, EFI flushed /services and cleaned throttle body
Replaced front brake pads, machined rotors, lubed hardware
22.7K - oil and filter, oil seal for manual valve lever shaft, shaft seal springs are weak, R&R Shifter shaft seals. F.DSC 1-SD service (whatever that is), steering wheel shimmys at high speed braking, rotors warped, turned front rotors to repair
16.6K - oil and filter
10.6K - oil and filter, hood not staying open, hood supports replaced
9.8K - oil and filter, complete detail, certified pre- owned and used car delivery
7.4K - Lojack
6.4K - chrome wheels
6K - switch was set to #2 position, turns on light (I have no idea what this could be)
5K - oil and filter

Last edited:
After thinking about it for a day and not finding anything on the internet, I have a couple questions.

I wasn’t able to shift it into 2 on the main shift lever. If I remember correctly the label is 2L so I simply tried shifting like you would any car, when that didn’t work I put the transfer case in low and then tried shifting it. The main shifter still doesn’t move. Is there a trick I’m missing?

The other question, is it normal for the center lock light to blink a lot if you push it when it’s in park. When I moved it to neutral it engaged just fine.

I should probably post my question in another section. Sorry everyone!

I don't own one, but have been test driving them lately.

re: shifting - The shift pattern requires you to push the lever to the passenger side in order to get into 2. You can't go straight back which could be what you were trying. From what I've observed, some trucks have a bit of a difficulty moving the shifter from D->4 but other than that I haven't found any issues shifting between gears (other than the thump)

re: center lock - I've always engaged center lock in N, but looking it up in the manual just now, it appears N is only required when going from H/L, not for locking. It does recommend if it doesn't stop blinking to move in forward or reverse.

(b) Shifting procedure To shift between unlock and lock modes in “H”, push the center differential lock switch.
To shift between unlock and lock modes in “L”, push the center differential lock switch.
To shift between “H” and “L”, stop the vehicle, put the transmission into “N” and move the four−wheel drive control lever.

Ah, that may have been it. I don’t remember trying to move it to the passenger side. Thanks for the info

Hey man, I'm local and can walk you through this...there are some things you should know about this rig and frankly, I'm happy to go help you out. (Broomfield, CO)

Hit me up in a PM

Kurt

Hey Kurt, thanks for reaching out. Can you post what you know to help everyone?

What I meant was, all vehicles have their quirks and common issues. To answer your question about what I know....I'd be copy and pasting thread upon thread of knowledge from at least 5 forums in here.

Shoot me a link to it, I'll see if I can get over there.

Yes I did. Felt like I got an incredible deal after the lady produced a s*** ton more receipts of repairs they had done, and kicked in brand new studded hakkapelittas snow tires in addition to the like new duellers on it. I can put some money into updating it and adding nice bumpers and sliders without feeling like I’ve spent my limit. It def needs some work but typical stuff. Rack might be leaking (not bad enough to get on the ground yet) but I can get an oem reman for $537 so that’s not a big deal. Just need to find the time to start working on it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom