welded rear? (FAQ) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I took the whole 3rd out of the housing, not to hard to do. But left the gears in, and clean it really good. and Use a lot of fouilo ? (SP) paper around the gear and stuff I didn't slag on

how about method #3?!

i learned this from FC. he welds a couple of teeth ( basically fill in the low areas between the teeth on three teeth adjacent to each other) on opposite sides of the spiders and 4 spots on the side gears. then they are installed as if they were regular gears. the welds act as stops and do not allow the gears to turn any further. i guess a pic would help. this allows a little rotational difference yet keeps the parts "serviceable". welding the side gears in 4 spots also allows you to rotate the gears by 90degs should a problem arise.

we've run lincoln-lockers that way for years and it works extremely well.

how about method #3?!

i learned this from FC. he welds a couple of teeth ( basically fill in the low areas between the teeth on three teeth adjacent to each other) on opposite sides of the spiders and 4 spots on the side gears. then they are installed as if they were regular gears. the welds act as stops and do not allow the gears to turn any further. i guess a pic would help. this allows a little rotational difference yet keeps the parts "serviceable". welding the side gears in 4 spots also allows you to rotate the gears by 90degs should a problem arise.

Thanks Georg, actually I do remember seeing that method somewhere along the way. I was worried about shock being sent through the parts and over stressing/breaking it. Seems like less shock would exist if they were just welded solid.

I like that way and if you say it'll take the abuse I should probably consider doing it.

That would be simpler yet considering how easy it is to pull those parts and weld em up on the bench. :hmm:

how about method #3?!

PIC? read on :D

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/167394-welding-spider-gears.html

That would be simpler yet considering how easy it is to pull those parts and weld em up on the bench. :hmm:

exactly! :cool:

make sure to pre-heat the gears with a torch and let them cool down slowly. once i'm done welding them, i usually stack them on top of each other and cover them up with a welding blanket.

they'll be ready for you/install the next morning.........

Might not be a big deal but I would be worried about the spiders prying the carrier apart in option 3. I have bent a carrier with a lunchbox locker

fc ran his option 3 locker for years in his soa 55 on 35s then 37s, doubler, ......thru the little sluice more than once. never had an issue with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom