Weekend backpacking trip in the San Gabriel's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Garrett and I did a short trip up the Mt. Baldy area this past weekend. The weather was perfect Saturday with warm temps and clear skies and 15-35mph winds Saturday night as the new cold front moved in. I hope it gets chilly this weekend so we get a couple of feet of new snow to extend the winter season a little.

DSC01433.jpg

DSC01432.jpg

DSC01434.jpg

DSC01436.jpg

DSC01438.jpg

DSC01437.jpg

DSC01454.jpg

DSC01445.jpg

DSC01441.jpg

DSC01457.jpg

DSC01455.jpg

DSC01458.jpg

DSC01459.jpg

DSC01461.jpg

DSC01460.jpg

DSC01467.jpg

DSC01466.jpg

DSC01463.jpg

Last edited:
Damn Scott, way to make me feel like a :princess:! Looks like an epic time made even more so by doing it with your son. Very cool thanks for sharing!

I love that shot of the widowmaker. ;)

Nice pictures-Makes my look forward to my next trip - we are heading up to do a Traverse of the Panamint Range in a few weeks.

Damn Scott, way to make me feel like a :princess:! Looks like an epic time made even more so by doing it with your son. Very cool thanks for sharing!

I love that shot of the widowmaker. ;)

Good times hanging out with Garrett, I miss my son. He is racing or coaching every weekend till July!

Looks like you guys had a great time. Thanks for sharing!

Hours hanging out around the fire. I usually eat the prerequisite freeze dried Mountain House stuff but Garrett is a National Champ rower and he wanted real food so we brought a pack of Nathan's, Ball Park buns and coat hangers (I said real food not healthy) and had a classic camping meal. It's amazing how enjoyable and creative one can get cooking dogs over an open fire in 35' temps.

Wow! That looks like it was a great time. Thanks for sharing!
Good times for sure thanks Frank.

Nice pictures-Makes my look forward to my next trip - we are heading up to do a Traverse of the Panamint Range in a few weeks.

Sounds fun! Do you have some logistics such as mileage and elevation figures for this hike/wheel?

Can you describe the trail for me and where the trailhead is located. How many miles and elevation gain?

Can you describe the trail for me and where the trailhead is located. How many miles and elevation gain?

The trailhead is Icehouse Canyon. It's on the way up to the Mt. Baldy ski resort.

Distance: 11.6 miles
Time: 6~7 hours
Difficulty: Strenuous
Elevation gain: 4,300 ft

We chose to camp at Ice House Canyon saddle instead of Cucamonga peak because the wind was howling at the peak. We also took the Chapman Trail loop on the way down which adds a few miles to the trip but you get to see the other side of Icehouse Canyon.

So we did about 14 miles on Saturday and 5.5 on Sunday.

Elevation gain 4200-4400.

I hiked to the Saddle this morning 3/17 and it was a full on gale. By the time I reached the saddle it was blowing sleet and snow horizontal. It must have dumped 6-8 inches during the hike! On my return Baldy road was a mess with probably a dozen small rock slides littering the road.

Cucamonga Peak via Icehouse Canyon | EveryTrail

https://forum.ih8mud.com/ca-socal-80s/533316-ice-house-canyon-cucamonga-peak-10_13_2011-a.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/ca-socal-80s/520072-ice-house-canyon-cucamonga-peak.html

I hiked to the Saddle this morning 3/17 and it was a full on gale. By the time I reached the saddle it was blowing sleet and snow horizontal. It must have dumped 6-8 inches during the hike!

:eek: You are an animal Scott. That is when I have the windows rolled up, the heater blasting, and Lucky Dube playing on the radio dreaming of warm sandy beach somewhere. :grinpimp:

:eek: You are an animal Scott. That is when I have the windows rolled up, the heater blasting, and Lucky Dube playing on the radio dreaming of warm sandy beach somewhere. :grinpimp:

Some people have to feel pain in order to know their still alive. You my friend have dealt with enough of that pain to know better, hope you know what I mean. When you get healed up we'll have to get together. You and your son have got to be ready for an Anza Borrego weekend camping trip.

Absolutely my friend, it has been far too long!

I am pretty sure I am still alive, somehow. ;)

Sounds fun! Do you have some logistics such as mileage and elevation figures for this hike/wheel?[/QUOTE]

PM sent:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom