Water Leak in rear passenger side. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Comet

Knower of little, master of less.
SILVER Star
Threads
Each heavy rain the GX470 decides to leak into the rear storage area. There is no water on the ceiling, side window, or rear window. It’s strange. I removed the roof rack and sealed up all the holes with short bolts and rubber. Are there places to look that normally leak? So far, I am committing to a new aftermarket roof rack because I broke a lot of the tabs on the factory one (selfish decision). Geesh, I hope its not coming from the suspension because that would need to be replaced too.

Any ideas are welcome on the the water intrusion.

Do you have an antenna for satellite radio that enters via the rear door?

I had an issue with water intrusion in the cargo bay, and it came from 2 spots:

1) passenger quarter window seals.
2) antenna that went from roof, under the rear door seal, down the side of the door and under the rear carpet.

Never saw any visible leak with either. I had to pull the interior trim panel to the see the water leaking via the bad window trim.

The antenna stumped me for a while. Would have wet carpet after rain, but no visible leak.

Good luck hunting down the source.

@drowzyGX

I will look. Thanks for the input.

@5280 Lexus I have not. I got distracted with the HVAC servos. I will add to the growing list.

9AA6C988-CF8D-4ECB-9A64-3F559655325C.jpeg

Do you have an antenna for satellite radio that enters via the rear door?

I had an issue with water intrusion in the cargo bay, and it came from 2 spots:

1) passenger quarter window seals.
2) antenna that went from roof, under the rear door seal, down the side of the door and under the rear carpet.

Never saw any visible leak with either. I had to pull the interior trim panel to the see the water leaking via the bad window trim.

The antenna stumped me for a while. Would have wet carpet after rain, but no visible leak.

Good luck hunting down the source.
I just had the rust hole around the passenger side 3rd row seat mount repaired. I was going to reassemble all the plastic trim when I noticed the floor was wet on the steel deck. Looking at the door seal makes me believe that is the source of the water. The seal has metal in it to make it grab the sheet metal edge it pushes onto. That appeared corroded and was causing a gap in the seal in the upper passenger side corner. I rotated the seal 45degrees for now. I have a new seal on order.

@5280 Lexus I have not. I got distracted with the HVAC servos. I will add to the growing list.
Did you do all servos (4 I think?) or just a few of them? I'm doing a dash replacement soon and am getting some noise/clicking from what appears to be the mode servo at startup. Debating on just replacing that one or biting the bullet and doing all of them.

All of them. Be a shame to put it all back together and then need to replace one a few months later.

I just had the rust hole around the passenger side 3rd row seat mount repaired. I was going to reassemble all the plastic trim when I noticed the floor was wet on the steel deck. Looking at the door seal makes me believe that is the source of the water. The seal has metal in it to make it grab the sheet metal edge it pushes onto. That appeared corroded and was causing a gap in the seal in the upper passenger side corner. I rotated the seal 45degrees for now. I have a new seal on order.

Definitely check the rear quarter window moulding!

I had leaks coming from 2 places when I first got this truck, and a lot of the rust in the back sheet metal was on the passenger side close to the wall. Had my girlfriend spray the car with a hose while I was inside, and water just ran down from the quarter window moulding.

The other leak was from an improperly installed satellite radio antenna cable. This led to leaking from the rear door seal.

Removed the cable and replaced the quarter window moulding, no leaks for a few years.

Replacing the rear door seal fixed my most recent leak. Thinking that was just the old seal being shot and loose. Car parks outside 24/7. Figure the temperature changes throughout the year contracting and expanding the old seal just made it give out.

Anyway, hope that info is helpful for your troubleshooting.

Fingers crossed the new seal does the trick for you!

The youtube algo recently fed me this video. The guy works on lots of GX's and says the common leak spots are rear quarter window seals and body seam cracks. Might be worth a check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom