Water injection for forced induction. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the feedback guys - it looks like I'm running out of excuses.... except for the Kevlar head gasket. BigMac

Dan & Bill:
What octane fuel are you running?  The S/C troubleshooting guide's first step for pinging is "BE SURE TO USE 92 OCTANE" (their caps).  I only have 91 readily available here in SoCal (but I have not searched diligently for higher).   I'd love the extra ponies, but I don't want a herd I can't feed correctly.  Your water injection systems are really slick - so I'm wondering how octane plays into the whole story of the knocking that drove you to add water.  Thanks, BigMac

BigMac,

I have 93 octane available and have no knock with the TRD unit without the water injection. So preventing knock is not/was not my main objective for getting the WI.

I've got a little bit of a background with forced induction systems on other vehicles. I've also worked with Eaton blowers on other vehilces (not the M90, but the 3rd gen M62 & M45). I am not fully comfortable with the intake temps those units can produce at WOT without any type of cooling. Therefore, the WI system to take those temps down a bit.

My personal preference to have them a bit lower...you don't have to have them lower, it just makes me more comfortable. I also probably change my oil more frequently than most too. :G

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom