water in my oil can someone give my an idea why? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So here we go ive wanted a boat for aslong as i can remember i did some trading and i ended up with a 1984 bayliner Santiago its and inboard/outboard with a 170 hp mercury 4 cylinder! now i dont know alot about boats so bare with me here! i had my boss come over cause he is a big boat guy he pointed out a few small things that i needed to fix which i did one of them was a big round tube on the bottom of the motor was leaking so i replaced the gaskets and it stopped leaking ive been running it at my house getting it tuned up for the summer and i have been using the ears that go over the lower unit when ive had it running!! now for my problem i took it out yesturday ran it for about ten minutes desided to stop and check everything out just to be safe and i took the cover off the motor and there was steam coming out of the air cleaner so i shut it down checked the oil and guess what i had water in my oil!!! why can i run it at my house and not get any water in the oil but as soon as i put it in the river i get water?? also there is a water reservoir on the motor and it is holding water so if my block was cracked wouldnt it all just drian right out into the oil pan? im thinking the head gasket went out? does anyone else have any thoughts or ideas???

thanks bryan

Yes, I would definetly say a blown head gasket. Another way to check is to pull your oil fill cap and inspect the bottom side. Looks like a milkshake? Oil in the water, blown head gasket. Good luck man!
Danny

Yes, I would definetly say a blown head gasket. Another way to check is to pull your oil fill cap and inspect the bottom side. Looks like a milkshake? Oil in the water, blown head gasket. Good luck man!
Danny

it ended up being a 20 dollar exhaust flapper!!

Cool man, makes sense. Upon start up in the water she would suck some water in. Correct me if I am wrong. Me and my neighbor friend went halves on a '78 Ranger day cruiser a few years ago. Took it out every summer since, had a blast on the San Diego Bay. Just pulled it out this season to get her running to sell. Will post up pics! Glad everything worked out for ya!

-Danny

Cool man, makes sense. Upon start up in the water she would suck some water in. Correct me if I am wrong. Me and my neighbor friend went halves on a '78 Ranger day cruiser a few years ago. Took it out every summer since, had a blast on the San Diego Bay. Just pulled it out this season to get her running to sell. Will post up pics! Glad everything worked out for ya!

-Danny

no you wont get any water in on startup the only time you get it in with a bad flapper is when you stop really fast and the wake rushes up to your boat there is nothing to stop the momentom so the water rushes up through your exhaust!! got it changed yesturday then found out the lower unit needs resealed lol always something!!

Yeah I hear ya, always something! The acronym for BOAT: Bust Out Another Thousand!
Here's mine

image-3893457666.jpg

image-3917983388.jpg

Yeah I hear ya, always something! The acronym for BOAT: Bust Out Another Thousand!
Here's mine

Dan, is that a prop from a James Bond movie????:D

Degnol said:
Dan, is that a prop from a James Bond movie????:D

LOL! Yeah could be! She's a 1978... Come to think of it, wish she was, she'd be easier to sell! :p

-Danny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom