Washing Machine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve been having fantasies about my washing machine. No, it’s not what you think. I have absolutely no plans to sit on it during the spin cycle (it wouldn’t even work if I wanted it to anyway). The fantasies are more like that scene in Office Space where the guys kidnap the office printer and take it out to a field somewhere, ritualistically beating the absolute Christ out of it with baseball bats in a primal way.

My washing machine is a fxxxing smartarse. As such it needs a belting.

At least once a week when I’m doing the washing, the stupid thing will keep stopping mid-cycle for no reason. If you leave the house and come home expecting the washing to be ready to hang out, you can lock it in, Eddie, that the fxxxing thing will have stopped the second you were out the front door and you’ll spend the next three hours wrangling with the stupid device to get it done.

It goes a little something like this:

1.Washing machine clicks off.
2. I lift lid and close it again. Washing machine starts up.
3. I walk out of the laundry room.
4. Washing machine stops instantly.
5. I go back, lift lid, jiggle the clothes around to adjust the load. Close lid. Washing machine starts up.
6. I walk out of room
7. Steps 1-6 repeated another four or five times.
8. Frustrated, I stand next to the washing machine for three or four minutes and then, satisfied that it won’t stop again for no reason mid-cycle, I leave the room.
9. Washing machine stops the second I am out the door.
10. Swear and kick the machine a few times.
11. Repeat all of the above steps for an hour.

See it’s not the random stopping that annoys me the most (although it is quite annoying) so much as the washing machine’s seeming ability to sense when I am no longer in the room, hovering nearby to rectify the situation when it stops. When it’s playing up it doesn’t matter if I stand next to it for five seconds or five minutes – it just seems to know the exact second I leave the room and decides to turn itself off then. You know, just to fxxx with me. As such, I want to have it killed.

I guess it is time to put it out to pasture and get a new one. I bought it nine years ago and – along with my fridge – was my first serious “grown up” purchase. My, how I’ll gloat at the fxxxer when it’s sitting on the nature strip sometime soon, awaiting the local council’s hard rubbish collection truck to take it away and give it an undignified burial somewhere. Where's your smug sense of self-satisfaction now, whitegood? So should I s*** can it or fix it. any ideas??

A service call is going to cost you money plus the 4 hour window of time they will give you for the tech to be there. For instance, "Our tech will be there between 10 am and 2 pm. " He will show up at 2 and you will be there another hour.

Personally I got 15 years out of my washer, and probably could have gotten a few more with a new transmission but I wanted a front loader to reduce the water usage and minimize the load on my well and my septic system. Plus after 15 years I really could not complain.

I would call a local Sears or whoever and find out what a service call costs and go from there.

I’ve been having fantasies about my washing machine. No, it’s not what you think. I have absolutely no plans to sit on it during the spin cycle (it wouldn’t even work if I wanted it to anyway). The fantasies are more like that scene in Office Space where the guys kidnap the office printer and take it out to a field somewhere, ritualistically beating the absolute Christ out of it with baseball bats in a primal way.

Nothing feel better than beating the crap out of it except using a 12 guage on it.

Dave

Hold the lid open and keep the lid switch activated with a pen or something. I do this all the time to make sure mine is operating ok since it is an older unit. If it continues to run without problems when your holding the switch in the "lid closed position", then you've found the problem. If not that, get a new one.

Take the lid switch out and bypass it. Mine was acting similar a few years ago. Took the switch out of the equation and works fine. If you have kids that will open the lid while it is running and jump in you may want to spend the $20 or so to get a new switch.

Given the time spent on the endless task (many many labor hours) especially with a family you should get the best unit available. The new frontloaders not only wash better but are more energy efficient than the old top loaders. The cost of a new better machine will not be high per hour of laundry labor.

This is one area where I say junk it and go new. Save the DIY for something you care about.

I like Consumersearch's review of reviews method ...

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/house_and_home/washing-machine-reviews/review.html

Go for the front loader, in addition to washing clothes better and being more efficient, they are also much quieter.

Got a Maytag washer and dryer set 30 years ago for a wedding gift, Harvest Gold, you know that color is coming back! it has only lived in the house once, about a 10 year run, the rest of the time it has been in the garage, raised 3 kids, have replaced belts, hoses and a couple motors, my wife has suggested we replace the set, it has become a quest now, how long will they keep running, when will Maytag stop making replacement parts.:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom