Was this a counterfeit Aisin wp? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 10-month old "Aisin" waterpump was squealing so I ordered a new wp from the dealer. The box of the new one looks as if it has been in a warehouse for 30 years. When I compare new to old there are several differences that make me wonder if the old was fake. The word "AISIN" and the "Tek" round logo are both in the casting of the new one. The old one just has a little metal sticker that says "Aisin." Did Aisin change the way they are marking the wp? The ten month old pump was purchased from a reputable national company....(rhymes with Shock Blotto).

I've had good experience with Spock Grotto but you have to be careful as sometimes products are mismatched or not ideal. For some components...like water pumps I try to go OEM and pay the extra.

@ToyotaMatt had a post not long ago about how to tell the difference...was pretty enlightening - can't find right now though

aisin - Copy12.jpg

Mock Lotto sells Aisin stuff that Aisin sells separately from Toyota- yet it's identical.
You won't get a Aisin part with the Toyota TEQ symbol on it though. That's Toyota's branding

From Bruiser Cloutspitters a couple months ago... cast logos ground off, small Aisin decal.

IMG_20210423_100837.jpg

From Bruiser Cloutspitters a couple months ago... cast logos ground off, small Aisin decal.
That looks like what I installed last June and just replaced. I don't know if it was a fake, but it sure didn't last...

That looks like what I installed last June and just replaced. I don't know if it was a fake, but it sure didn't last...

It's unlikely Aock Ruto sold you an ersatz pump; it's far more likely you had the belt too tight that caused the premature bearing failure.

This is great price (1/2 price of the reg branded gauge) and it's the same SST belt tension gauge called for in the FSM.

For comparison:

1619204363277.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom