Warn winch 5687 model on fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A warn 8000 pound model 5687 just came up on CL near my house. Says it is working condition for 300 OBO. Does anyone have this on their fj40, if so how did you wire it. How heavy are these compared to the 8274 or other winches. From research looks like these have not been made since 73, might be fitting for my 62.

Thanks Chris

I've got one. Works okay. Here's an article here on Mud about it - OLD Warn Winches - Land Cruiser Tech from IH8MUD.com.
winch bumper0001.jpg
winch bumper0002.jpg
Christmas tree run 1.jpg

pretty sure that is a Warn Bellview. Similar to an 8274 without the power out and the hand brake sucks (does not hold well). I have one on my rig (came with it) and it works well for pulling (lots of power) but the brake is it's downfall. $300 sounds high since 8274s can be had for around that much.

It is kind of dependant on your local market. I have heard of good working 8274's going for as little as $200, but the $500 range seems to be more common. Try offering $200 and see what he says.

On the Bellview, all of the controls are cable activated including the power which is a switch knife; make sure all of them are there (brake w/ t-handle, power and clutch), they are long enough for routing in the 40, and they still slide. I swapped my power cable over to a Ford starter solinoid and a toggle switch. Over all it is a good winch, but no power out, the brake sucks, and there is only one place in Minnisota to get parts for it. As far as pulling power and speed, it is almost as good as a 8274.

I think I will offer $200 for it. I have 3 4x4 2 fj40's and a cj8 so I can use it no matter what and if one of these mythical $200 8274's comes up I can get that also. I do not ever see really needing power out or much of the brake. It has no cables, but I have read making them is very easy. Maybe I will wait till next week and see if he will take $200 then, if it was an 8274 I would have just posted a picture of what I bought.

Not having power out has never bothered me; as long as you spooled the cable on neatly, it will unspool fairly easily. the power and clutch cables are easy to make (esentially just long throttle cables), but the brake is a t-handle that screws in and out to hold pressure. Not sure how easy that one would be to make.

He would not take 200, and that was as much as I would pay after some research. Maybe next week he will reconsider if no one else buys it. It would be period correct for my 62 cruiser build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom