Warn m12000 - New To Me (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I picked up a Warn m12000 12v for pretty cheap. I tested it and it works as expected.

Unfortunately the sn # is rusted off so I am unsure of the exact model. I reached out to warn support for assitance. Once I know what I have I will order new gaskets.

I looked through the different diagrams and the only other identifiable parts is the remote switch(joystick) and it doesnt have steel balls.

I took everything apart and the gears look good with no signs of rust. The drum assembly and support has some rust. The motor can be cleaned too, but I will just purchase the 9.5xp motor.

The plan is to clean, coat, grease, assemble..

External Coating - Would ceramic coating be an option? I'm wondering if it would help with heat? If not I would probably just coat with rustoleum. I dont want to powder coat.
Internal Coating - Is there anything that can be applied for longevity/anti rust?

Grease - Warn recommends aershell 33ms. What other options do I have with the same quality?

Any tips/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hey all, I picked up a Warn m12000 12v for pretty cheap. I tested it and it works as expected.

Unfortunately the sn # is rusted off so I am unsure of the exact model. I reached out to warn support for assitance. Once I know what I have I will order new gaskets.

I looked through the different diagrams and the only other identifiable parts is the remote switch(joystick) and it doesnt have steel balls.

I took everything apart and the gears look good with no signs of rust. The drum assembly and support has some rust. The motor can be cleaned too, but I will just purchase the 9.5xp motor.

The plan is to clean, coat, grease, assemble..

External Coating - Would ceramic coating be an option? I'm wondering if it would help with heat? If not I would probably just coat with rustoleum. I dont want to powder coat.
Internal Coating - Is there anything that can be applied for longevity/anti rust?

Grease - Warn recommends aershell 33ms. What other options do I have with the same quality?

Any tips/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pics or it doesn't exist ;)

Pics or it doesn't exist ;)

+Pics

20200916_194634.jpg

20200916_175742_1.gif

So - as a owner & mucho fanboy of the M12K - is there anything left od the sticker that surrounds the SN# / stamped matrix they do, or can you show the freespool lever - case end complete?

That sticker changed plenty over the yrs.

-I did 1 rebuild on a ancient M12K (earliest model, sold) - & 2 on the one M12K I own now - Warn was real helpful with gen units based on case pics & solenoid covers (helps too) - I never even had to send pics of the guts of the solenoid.

I never asked on grease, - I used EP as it’s a sealed unit & planetary gears never see water like marine outboards/power units - a seperate grease gun in my life since the boat/marine.

So - as a owner & mucho fanboy of the M12K - is there anything left od the sticker that surrounds the SN# / stamped matrix they do, or can you show the freespool lever - case end complete?

That sticker changed plenty over the yrs.

-I did 1 rebuild on a ancient M12K (earliest model, sold) - & 2 on the one M12K I own now - Warn was real helpful with gen units based on case pics & solenoid covers (helps too) - I never even had to send pics of the guts of the solenoid.

I never asked on grease, - I used EP as it’s a sealed unit & planetary gears never see water like marine outboards/power units - a seperate grease gun in my life since the boat/marine.

Hey,

Here's the lever and what's left of the sticker..

What's EP?

Mine will most likely be submerged fully in water from time to time.

20200920_101121.jpg

20200920_101026.jpg

20200920_101032.jpg

20200920_101052.jpg

The customer service folks at WARN were very nice to work with when I was researching my 8274. The best thing is that you actually speak to someone in the USA! They were very helpful with disassembly diagrams, looking up the vintage of my unit, and part numbers for ordering replacement parts. Overall a great customer service experience, and we all know that is almost unheard of today :(. You should send them pics of your unit and I think they will be very helpful with anything you need. Good luck on the rebuild.

The customer service folks at WARN were very nice to work with when I was researching my 8274. The best thing is that you actually speak to someone in the USA! They were very helpful with disassembly diagrams, looking up the vintage of my unit, and part numbers for ordering replacement parts. Overall a great customer service experience, and we all know that is almost unheard of today :(. You should send them pics of your unit and I think they will be very helpful with anything you need. Good luck on the rebuild.

I'm still waiting on an email reply from them. I'll give them a call later this week for sure. It's good to hear that they have great customer service.

So I THINK I found the model. With more sanding I can see the an better. I am assuming the first digit is 8. It looks like 806824.

SmartSelect_20200920-114415_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20200920-113909_Chrome.jpg

EP = extreme pressure grease.

We get spec’d literally dozens of greases for refinery pumps, motors, reciprocating equip - so we have an armada of greases.

The one that one of the ‘old timers’ - said most resembled what they used in logging yarder winches was about this:

We use the EP2, as it is a ‘happy medium’ catch-all for most the equip, and like you have a concern of - it isn’t easily water-washed out.

HTH, but I defer to whatever @Warn Industries -says.
Something tells me they have a good clue :cool:

If the clutch handle as part of the gen identity holds true, we both have late roughly 1990-1995 era M12K’s.

At least I was told mine was a early 1990’s -ish since my SN was about rusted off like yours, but mine was also dot-matrix numbers rather than stamped ones like yours, so IDK/ grain of salt.

The grease needs to be thinner than you think so the gears will run free in freespool. I have some of the original Aeroshell 17 that was originally spec'd and its way thinner than any other grease I've seen.

Thanks all.

I'll be calling support this week to confirm my model number and order gaskets. I have some Grey grease NLGI 2 left over from doing my drive shaft. I believe this should work too.

I cleaned, sanded and painted the winch components. It looks good from far away :D I am just waiting on the clear coat to be delivered.

Looks like I missed a spot, oops.

20200928_124833.jpg

Last edited:
NGLI 2 is way thicker than Aeroshell. If you insist on using it, use it sparingly.

I just bought a M12k as well and am doing the same thing right now. I’ve ordered a new motor (9.5 XP), contactor control box to replace the solenoids, and a new remote. I picked up Aeroshell 33 as it replaces Aeroshell17. $17 for a whole tube at an aircraft supply store. Not too bad.

I’ll join in. I just picked up a 2 year old M12000 from a local utility company truck. The motor is stamped 2018. The winch works great, for now I’m just pulling bolts and applying anti-seize.

Anything else I should do before I hang it on the bumper?

1A74C808-8869-4721-BD3E-4651996983A9.jpeg

Figure I’ll jump in the party, too. Just picked up my first m12000 in august. Just started the tear down process this week. What do you all think of my motor? Looks toast but part of me wants to take a long shot and rebuild it
Edit: only saw the photos on my phone. Looking at them now on a computer this thing is done. New motor going on
D6A46394-DBA7-4EF3-A957-70D649AC0814.jpeg

EB9EDBDC-D9D0-4295-A458-63D7EBC778FC.jpeg

Last edited:
Figure I’ll jump in the party, too. Just picked up my first m12000 in august. Just started the tear down process this week. What do you all think of my motor? Looks toast but part of me wants to take a long shot and rebuild it
Edit: only saw the photos on my phone. Looking at them now on a computer this thing is done. New motor going on
View attachment 2489361

View attachment 2489362
Mine wasn’t that bad and I replaced the motor. Pretty sure it still would have worked though. I replaced with a 9.5XP motor primarily because it’s sealed. More like “sealed”.

Yeah, I’m leaning that way too. Is there anything different you need to do to seal the motor up completely? Or just slap the new one on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom