Warn 9000 problem

Discussion in 'Winching and Recovery' started by Armordave, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Armordave

Armordave

I have a Warn XT9000 on my 40. It free spools fine, it power unwinds fine, but when I try to power in I just get a clicking sound (similar to what you here when you have a weak battery on an engine start or a weak ground. I'm using the remote attachment. I've taken the ground terminal off the winch and cleaned that connection. I am assuming that if the system is working on the unwind then the power requirements should be there for the wind up.

What other suggestions do you have for me to try before I have to get a professional involved?

2. 76FJ40

76FJ40 Old Fart SILVER Star

I believe the spool in and spool out relays are separate. My XD9000i has 4 relays, 2 for in and 2 for out. Sounds like you have a bad relay. I bought a set of 4 replacement relays (Warn brand) on Amazon for a reasonable price.

3. John McVicker

John McVicker SILVER Star

I know nothing about the Warn 9 as I have an Warn 8274, but if yours have solenoids, that's prob your issue. If so, easy $25 repair, no need to take it to a shop.

4. Armordave

Armordave

Any chance you have a link (just want to make sure I get the right ones)

5. 76FJ40

76FJ40 Old Fart SILVER Star

I just checked Amazon and you may need to know the SN or production date to get the correct solenoids. Thinking about it, they may have come from eBay. There are lots of vendors selling solenoids but I went with Warn brand (which I could see in the pics) to be sure of the quality.

6. John McVicker

They are pretty generic. I called Warn, they gave me the part # & with that # I picked up the needed solenoids @ my local Napa.

7. Armordave

Armordave

Job done, all working well now. I did have to grind the flange edges of the solenoids to get them to fit. They were made a little larger than the original.

I was wondering (looking at the cable as I spooled it on and off), does anyone lube the cable? It’s not rusting of course but it is pretty grundgy.

8. John McVicker

No need to lube the cable.

I've got one cable that's been on almost 20 years and another that's been on 10+ years and no issues.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.