WARN 9.5XP internal rust rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ranma21

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.februarydesign.com
After reading the internal rust problem due to the mounting location. I decided to take mine apart and guess what??!! RUST!!! And it is practically new winch even though it has been on the truck for 2 yrs, never wired up just had it on the truck. So I contacted WARN, no warranty of coz, all I can do is send the winch and pay for the service. Motor is $385 from them :mad:
photo(4).jpg
photo(2).jpg
photo.jpg

I managed to clean up most of the parts, gonna repaint the inside with zero rust nd grease it up. And I "accidentally" bought a replacement motor too :bang::D Upon comparison on the brand new and "new" motor, there are some difference. I am trying to replace the paper wrapping on the coil, but the brand new motor comes wrapped with some sort of heat/water resistance fabric wrap. Anyone knows what kind of material are they and where can I get them so I can complete the rebuilt.
photo(3).jpg
photo(5).jpg

damn, i definitely don't feel bad about saving a ton of money and getting a t-max now!!

Is not WARN's problem, the rust is due to improper installation, didn't remove the drain plug.

damn, i definitely don't feel bad about saving a ton of money and getting a t-max now!!

There is 2 drain plug in this winch. The "plug" I referred to is just silicone. The drain hole is plug with silicone from the factory, this particular winch is design to mount feet down from WARN. But if you want to install it feet forward, which is our case with the ARB bumper, you will hve to remove one of the drain plug so the water will not trap inside the motor.

what drain plug???:confused:

i have looked through the manual in my t-max and it says nothing about a drain hole. I may give them a call today to see what they say about the issue. It's a pain in the A$$ trying to remove the winch just to open it up and see.

I got a Warn 9000i for free from a friend because the shop he took it to couldn't fix it.

I popped the motor off, and low and behold, sand/dirt/rust dumped out. The real problem was poor contact between the brush holder and the case of the motor.

Since that first time, I have had to take the end cap off the motor and clean up that contact several times. Now that contact area is severely pitted, making the problem worse.

Granted, my friend had the winch mounted feet forward without paying attention to the drain hole, but it has since been mounted feet down and still has problems, even with healthy coatings of RTV and dielectric grease.

I blame warn on not sealing the motor well enough...
My permanent (hopefully) fix will be to machine a groove for an o-ring into the drum side of the motor and add several more screws to promote good contact between the brush holder and motor case. May even tack weld the brush holder to the motor case in a couple places.

is there a picture of this floating around i looked at my drains and they are open am i missing something??

4LLC

The drains are grooves that are cut/cast into the winch case where the motor housing mounts against the side of winch case. Look at the first picture in the original post you can see the one that faces toward the feet.

There are 2 drains that are 90 degrees out from each other. Basically one faces down when mounted feet down, the other faces down when mounted feet forward. Which ever way you have it mounted you need to make sure the one that faces down is open. The winches (exept M12000 and larger) come set up for feet down mounting so the drain in the same position as the feet is open and the other drain (9 oclock position) is sealed to prevent water from running into the motor. If you rotate the winch 90 degrees to put the feet forward, the open drain now faces forward (3 oclock) allowing water to run into the motor and now the closed drain is in the bottom (6 oclock) position trapping water in the motor case.

Hope that helps clear it up..

gr
winch drain.JPG

Last edited:
i have check those before both of them are open on mine and i put a piece of e tape over the 3 o'clock one. i had a mental picture of an actual plug . guess i shouldn't let my mind wander so far from the body:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom