Warn 9.5 Contactor/motor on 8274

Discussion in 'Winching and Recovery' started by Code Red, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Code Red

Code Red

Good morning everybody,

I rebuilt an old 8274 this weekend, and as the motor was dead and the solenoids always seemed to eb the weak point, I decided to do the mod to use a 9.5 motor and the contactor that goes with it. Install was very straightforward and everything is put back together, but I have a wiring question.

The wiring from the contactor to the winch is easy. Three color coded wires to three color coded terminals. But . . . . . The new contactor doesn't have a heavy negative lead, only a positive one. I am assuming the 9.5 must ground through the chassis, but I am a little wary of this solution on the 8274 in a brand new bumper that still has all the powder coating. Is there a clean way to add a ground or am I worried about nothing?

Thanks Mud!

2. spotcruiser

spotcruiser Geezer SILVER Star

I believe the 9.5 motor has a ground stud or bolt location. Run a ground cable, equivalent to the positive cable, to the motor ground stud.

I added a ground stud to an old 8274 motor years ago for the same purpose.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  3. 1911

1911 chupacabra

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes, it does. That's exactly what I did for the 9.5XP motor I put on my 8274. ran the heavy ground cable all the way back to the negative terminal on the battery - the 8274 draws a lot of current on start-up.

4. Code Red

Code Red

Thanks guys. I only saw the three color coded studs on the motor. What should I be looking for? Is it one of the countersunk pieces?

5. Code Red

Code Red

1911 - Thanks for the reply. I read you had this setup and was hoping you would chime in. I think I PM'ed you over on Expo as well.

6. 1911

1911 chupacabra

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes, there are threads in the bottom of the case that take a good-size bolt (14mm or 1/2"?). I guess it depends on how you clock the motor on the upper housing of the 8274; in any event, the threaded hole for the ground is on the opposite side of the motor from the main power leads for "in" and "out". I took some photos of mine for you, but it's hard to see with the winch installed:

You're welcome. I hope you didn't PM me recently on ExPo, I haven't logged in there in years.

Good luck with your installation.

7. Code Red

Code Red

That's exactly what I needed. Thanks again.

1911 likes this.
  8. Code Red

Code Red

Thanks for the help guys. Winch is installed and working. Need to tidy up some wires, but everything is functioning great.

2018-02-10 - New bumper.jpg

1911 likes this.
  9. t100boy

t100boy

So where did you source your replacement motor and contactor? I am looking at my selinoids 1 or more is bad. wondering if it bolts on no issues or retrofitting and do you need a new controller?

10. Code Red

Code Red

I got mine on Amazon. I let all the magic smoke out of the motor years ago, and I knew I needed a motor, and in my experience the solenoids have always been the weak link on winches, so I wanted to upgrade to a contactor. There are folks out there who are very happy with a Superwinch contactor (available from Summit or Jegs), but I took the easy (and more expensive) route and kept it all Warn. It also meant that the Contactor was the one intended for that motor, so everything was color-coded and install was a breeze. You do also need to get a splined (versus keyed) gear for the motor shaft, but that's easy as well.

Another good source for Warn parts is Clemson off-road.

11. 1911

1911 chupacabra

Media:
    Albums:
    John McVicker and 47coeman like this.
  12. 47coeman

47coeman Love those 45's

That place is close to my neighborhood. If I contacted them would they know what I want to do the conversion like above.

13. 1911

1911 chupacabra

Media:
    Albums:
    I imagine so, but I already knew what I wanted and just ordered the parts on-line, never talked to anyone on the phone there.

14. flintknapper

flintknapper

15. 47coeman

47coeman Love those 45's

Do you remember what the total bill was for all the parts???

16. 1911

1911 chupacabra

Media:
    Albums:
    No, it was 9 or 10 years ago, sorry. The motor itself was the most expensive part, around $300 if I remember correctly.

47coeman likes this.
  17. 47coeman

47coeman Love those 45's

Good morning I checked out a warn dealer in northern Cali and will give them a call to move forward so I can adapt that set up to mine, TNX for the help.

1911 likes this.
  18. Code Red

Code Red

I don't think so. I didn't know ther was a "commercial" version. It has a different recovery point set up than the previous one I had (on a Jeep). The holes in t the tow points are horizontal and higher up on the bumper. I still plan on reinforcing them some, but they look a lot stouter than what was on my other ARB.

19. Code Red

Code Red

I got most of the parts on Amazon. The splined gear is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U7K2NW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't remember the total cost, but by the time I had the new motor, contactor, and all of the rebuild parts, I was probably up around $900. I am sure it could be done cheaper with a different contactor and some ingenuity and know-how, but these days I am only getting 1-2 days off a month, and I needed everything to fit the first time or it would drag on forever.

1911 and 47coeman like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.