Walbran Run - Saturday Aug 29th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GTSSportCoupe

2LTE abuser
Threads
@stevebradford and I are going to head to Walbran Valley via Port Renfrew on Saturday Aug 29th. Plan is to check out some bogs, a lake and the river. This is going to be highway and logging road driving, so within the capability of stock/modified land cruisers alike. All cruisers are welcome. If you haven't been to the Walbran Valley, it is a pretty special place and worth the effort.

Those of us from the greater Victoria area are going to meet at the Sooke A&W at 8:30am with the intent to leave by 9:00am. If anyone from Cowichan or further north wants to join, your best bet might be to take Pacific Marine Rd. from Cowichan to Port Renfrew. We could arrange to meet in Port Renfrew.

As always, make sure you have a good spare tire, full tank of diesel, tools, recovery gear and extra food/clothing. Be prepared to commit to a full day of driving.

We're talking about maybe a BBQ lunch of some sort in the Walbran....more to come on that. Will keep it COVID safe etc....

sam_0282-jpg.1490562

I have a small bbq I could bring and do up burgers for lunch for everyone.

Also I’m hoping the blueberries are ready out there If they are I might spend 1/2 hour picking if time allows.

A second pair of shoes might be a great idea also as you always end up with a soaker looking at carnivourous plants in a bog.

Hope to see some more you out there.
08FDB196-5707-4E50-AD23-E1803E797D54.jpeg

Last edited:
Wish I was home. I’d be there. Have a good time.

I really want to commit to more VI back-country exploring and wheeling going forward. Screw the busy-ness of life and never having time. So on that note, lets go on another trip when you're back Jon.

Hmmm. Possible the 60 will be done, but I need to remember to get a windshield ordered today.

Although I'm on nights the Friday beforehand so it would require swmbo to be on board so I could have a wee nap.

Napping in the 45 is...unlikely. :lol:

I hear they're protesting up there again. They've blocked a couple of newly built logging/access roads to some of the last stands of old growth yellow cedar. Can't believe our government still hasn't put a stop to logging up there!
Have fun, always a good time up there!

I hear they're protesting up there again. They've blocked a couple of newly built logging/access roads to some of the last stands of old growth yellow cedar. Can't believe our government still hasn't put a stop to logging up there!
Have fun, always a good time up there!

Thanks for the heads up! Could make things interesting.... I'll look into it a bit before hand to see where they are exactly.

183 views and two trucks.....come on people. Weather looks good, come on out and enjoy your cruiser and some covid free fresh air for a day. :cool:

This trip is stock truck friendly...no body damage and likely no scratching either.

I'm probably out unless swmbo wants to do the driving.

Bit too out if it after a night shift🤪

You have a good excuse....next run we'll make sure is a better day for you and a bit closer....

@GTSSportCoupe, I'd love to join but it's a work day for me unfortunecookie.

Maybe next time! If it wasn't for work, would have had seapotato and cruiserpilot along too. Will try to find a date that works better next time.

Plans have changed somewhat. There are a couple non cruisers coming along now, and we won't be meeting at the A&W in Sooke. If anyone here has last second thoughts about coming along, just post here before 7am and I'll give you updated info.

Another great adventure. Thanks nick it was a great time. It was a great group of awesome people. My cruiser contracted a case of the death wobble triggered by severe bumps in the roads on the way in :( So I have some work to do, but no dramas on the the way out for us. Stopped to help a guy with blown tire.

5D0CDA5F-86F5-421A-BDAE-C9018928B98C.jpeg

AEA738C5-35FE-4486-86B7-3247F17EE10B.jpeg

C9F7D9D6-53B7-44DA-A102-FF5BC035EBCB.jpeg

456B0CBA-CFD6-442F-A3D5-E925624AC261.jpeg

990BD06E-CC9A-4E8D-B236-403A1DA00316.jpeg

C7F6C745-5050-4E62-BB0A-C5A75573D85A.jpeg

9611B433-72AF-4CAC-BC69-7B7B459622A1.jpeg

0E1EE273-02E7-4EAB-84A6-923E590A24C0.jpeg

9183DF06-53DB-4CAD-8F61-A97B003F2C35.jpeg

AED70A1F-71EA-4BEA-B702-289C2E3A621D.jpeg

A few people got some good soakers like Justin trying to make a long jump, Shannon slipping on a log but chad pulled it off classy

Was a great trip. Definitely an excellent group of people! After the bog some of us hit Sad Lake quickly and tried some fishing - don't think there are any fish in it. Also did a bit of fishing in the San Juan River on the way back too.

Here are the lake pictures. Was a rotten old canoe someone left there eons ago; sort of surprising. Also some exceptional views of Walbran Valley towards Anderson Lake. The Lake had some carnivorous plants too!

SAM_0071.JPG
SAM_0078.JPG
SAM_0079.JPG
SAM_0083.JPG

Few more pics. First is wild cranberries in the bog. There were tons of huckleberries and blueberries up there too - forgot to take pics. Also, cruiser stuck in the bush, and a couple more cruiser shot. Funny, I gave a couple guys a ride in my truck up the rough terrain. Half way back he says: "I've spent long enough in this truck to know I want one". And proceeds to have me educate him on cruisers. :)

SAM_0057.JPG
SAM_0065.JPG
SAM_0102.JPG
SAM_0103.JPG

SAM_0098.JPG

And one more lake shot. I want to build a cabin at this lake, LOL. And stock it with trout... :) It's just so dang hard to get into. All untouched forest, and a view of the ocean in spots. Also, here are my full pics for the day: Walbran trip - Aug 29th

IMG_20200829_165036445.jpg

Awesome. Was it Paul with the new cruiser love? Paul, Chad And Justin are pretty cool guys that are up for any extreme adventure. They just got back from a amazing sounding rugged backpacking trip in the strathcona park to find an orchid that’s not supposed to grow on Vancouver island only three other people have seen. Can I repost you album so they can check it out?

We might have to plan a guys overnight trip for the next adventure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom