VPR is building me a rear bumper. Does the 2013 have a factory trailer hitch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i know this is a funny question but I have not actually seen my truck in person yet as it is in VA and I'm in Europe. So do you guys know if the '13 200 has a factory hitch? VPR is currently building me front and rear bumpers and sliders. Apparently, They need to know. Is that plastic plate hiding a tow hitch?

IMG_2873.JPG

A lot of folks will be very interested to see what they come up with...and ya, the hitch is there.

**If they come up with a FULL BULL BAR front bumper?
I will be VERY interested. Especially if it can accomodate a full size winch (like a Warn M12000 or Zeon 12-S Platinum).

Have they given you a price on the rear yet?
Are you ordering a front like what they advertise on their site? OR are they designing a new front bumper?

The factory receiver is integrated into the frame rail rather than being a modular unit mounted to the frame.

Interested in details too...

A lot of folks will be very interested to see what they come up with...and ya, the hitch is there.

**If they come up with a FULL BULL BAR front bumper?
I will be VERY interested. Especially if it can accomodate a full size winch (like a Warn M12000 or Zeon 12-S Platinum).

Have they given you a price on the rear yet?
Are you ordering a front like what they advertise on their site? OR are they designing a new front bumper?

I don't have a ton of details unfortunately. Rocky Top Customz in Knoxville is communicating directly with VPR not me. I paid $3820 for everything including shipping to Rocky Top. The bumpers are supposed to accommodate all factory equipment. Including, the rear sensors, front headlight washers. The shop is installing a Rocky Ridge 10500lb winch. VPR has already built the front bar and sliders, and are currently working on the rear bar. They will be in bare metal, and we are having them powder coated color matched in Knoxville, TN at the factory that does all the work for master craft wake boarding boats. Rocky Top will have it in the shop by 1/23. I'm having all the work done the week of 2/6. Including, front and rear bars, sliders, OME suspension, 17" RW wheels with KO2s, and winch.

Here are the part numbers for the VPR gear. (pricing is direct from VPR not including shipping or tax)

PD-084-SP6 ( Front ) = $ 1,790.25
This is pictured on their website. Mounted on a silver LC200

PT-045 ( Rear ) = $ 1,219
I don't think this is pictured on the site.

AC-122 ( Sliders ) = $ 610.64
This is pictured.

Rocky Top is going to send me pictures once they get the VPR equipment in. I'll post them here. I'm going to start a build thread once we get the work started. I'll be happy to provide any more information you guys want, and will be able to answer more questions later on.

I will probably be going VPR if I ever get a chance to finish my 200. I am a big fan of their front. Will be interesting to see the Rear. Should be great.

I am impressed. Congratulations to @odinskind and Rocky Top for making this happen.

Image at left from VPR site, at right from X Landcruiser (not quite the same p/n).

Edit: I wonder if/when they will have a front for the 2016+ 200s....

upload_2017-1-4_8-8-0.png
upload_2017-1-4_8-9-44.png

Last edited:
Those bumpers look great!

I'd verify VPR is going to utilize your stock rear hitch and work their bumper around it. Anything else would be pointless, its strong as is.
I bet you're excited! congrats

Last edited:
Looking at their front bumper photo...I wonder how you could leave the necessary fender gap without leaving a huge space below the headlights, grill, etc.?

I think thats the deal @Markuson, seeing how the front bumper is all one pc. Find a happy gapping place

I do think that is the best LOOKING front bumper I've seen for the 200 by far.
If they would build one with a full bull bar that was stout and could house a 12k lb winch, I might jump on it.

I'm sorry to say this, but I don't think that front bumper is a good design for impacts.

A corner hit on a rock or a truck, my bet is the wings will bend enough to damage the headlight, fender, and maybe even the inner aprons.

The first thing I noticed about the ARB when it came out was the bumper was nice and far from things and a bit of plastic from the front bumper was retained as just a fill panel really.

I can't tell you how many steel bumper fitted trucks I've done repair work on because the bumper didn't have enough space from body work to handle the bending that will happen.

I'm sorry to say this, but I don't think that front bumper is a good design for impacts.

A corner hit on a rock or a truck, my bet is the wings will bend enough to damage the headlight, fender, and maybe even the inner aprons.

The first thing I noticed about the ARB when it came out was the bumper was nice and far from things and a bit of plastic from the front bumper was retained as just a fill panel really.

I can't tell you how many steel bumper fitted trucks I've done repair work on because the bumper didn't have enough space from body work to handle the bending that will happen.

Saw that with the fender...but I'd like to see one mounted that isn't their marketing photo. Wondering if they tightened this one up because it looks better gapless...or if that's just the way it really stays in practice.

Last edited:
Thats my MO - almost commit then change my mind. the VPR is cool looking nonetheless and with proper fitment I'm sure you'd be trouble free with years of enjoyment.

Last edited:
I've kind of gone all in on the VPR equipment. Should have posted an opinion thread before I pulled the trigger I guess... Oh well. I'll make Rocky Top aware of the fitment concerns and hopefully they can come up with a solution. I'm not concerned about the finish because it will be delivered bare and we will have it powder coated locally by a very reputable shop.

Props to @odinskind for trying something new.

Couple of thoughts on this topic, not just as a potential purchaser, but as a vendor.

Product: The questions of design up front (not enough protection for Elk strikes, not wide/tall enough) are valid for some purchasers, but self-evident by looking at photos. The manufacturer seems to have made a decision there and I (for one) would be OK with reduced protection in exchange for less overhang. Fitment and gap to body might be an issue, but if it is a question of installation (as noted by VPR in a prior MUD post), then hopefully Rocky Top can address that when installing. Finish could be poor prep or poor application of PC, hard to say, but Rocky Top will take care of that as well with local PC shop.

Track Record: After years in production, we see photos of a full range of Toyotas with VPR armor - website and Facebbook page mostly, but no readily available user/owner reports or reviews....strange. They show a bunch of non-USA rigs (Hi Lux, etc.) which leads me to think they are selling the stuff somewhere.....SA or Australia. Why not more happy customer content?

People: According to online content, the firm has been around for almost 20 years, starting in Venezuela. Lots of Jeep and other brand support, SEMA members/exhibitors, lots of fancy vehicle photos with graphics. Funny thing is that as a MUD vendor (?) and participating poster, they made a splash, put up some photos, responded to a complaint and after 14 posts, hasn't been seen here since October of 2014.

ARB, Slee and the other candidates suit up, show up, support the Toyota community and stand by their product to answer questions, fix problems and listen to their customers. I am not saying VPR is a 'bad' vendor, I just don't understand their marketing/service model. MUD is not the center of the universe, but for 200s, it seems that MUD, the TLCA Facebook feed and Ex Po (at least in the US) are pretty important venues for communication.

My partners and I sell new parts and accessories through installing shops - that is our thing - I cannot imagine selling armor or any other big ticket, technically challenging products (suspensions, elockers, mechanical repair kits) to the retail market without the direct participation of an installing shop - even just as technical support during installation (all of our direct retail sales have an installing shop involved, and compensated, to provide post-sale support).

I don't know if VPR has a prior relationship with Rocky Top, but other than a non-installing reseller (Extreme Landcruiser) and a bling shop installer (Lambos and Jeeps, it seems) in Orlando, VPR's website does not list any offroad shops as installers/resellers.

I guess they must be doing ok and I would love to do business with them, just need more data. However it works out, I/we owe @odinskind a brewed beverage for his willingness to give the VPRs a try and share his story with MUDders.

Last edited:
We are spoiled by legendary vendors in this niche market. Our Vendors threw caution to the wind when they decided to cater to a very small group and follow their passion....KUDOS to you fine people. And I wish the best of luck to new vendors such as VPR trying to learn what it takes to make this crowd happy and loyal. I love competition as it makes me want to do my job better everyday.
upload_2017-1-6_11-32-2.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom