Visiting Canada and Us (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
we are considering to visit Canada and US , and would like to temporarily bring over our car , Toyota 78 , full equipped , manf 2004 .
Italinan plate .
is there a limit of time in which we need to report it ?
ideally I would like to keep it in Canada for aprox 12-14 months , and then move to Usa .
use the car for 1-2 months , and return after 5-6 months , for the next stage of trip .
possible according to local laws ?

thanks for any input

Bye Renago

I am no expert but have been doing a lot of research and this is what I understand. As a tourist, you can temporarily import your vehicle into Canada no longer than you are allowed to visit. The length of your allowable visit will depend on your nationality/passport. Your vehicle cannot stay in Canada beyond your stay. It must exit the country before or when you leave. So, for example, if you are legally allowed to be in Canada for 6 months, your vehicle cannot stay longer than 6 months.

Thanks Living for the reply.
That's is also my knowledge.
I was trying to find a way out of this scheme , because 3/4 weeks is a short period to visit Canada .
With all the hassel of shipping and importing the car .
Asap , will call the consulate in Italy , to check on this .

Thanks Renago

While researching vehicle importation I found this on a Gov't of Canada website:

"If you are entering Canada as a visitor, under a student visa or a work permit, or are passing through Canada on your way to another country, you can temporarily bring your vehicle to Canada for your own use. You cannot sell or dispose of the vehicle in Canada and it must be exported when the time limit of your stay has been reached."
Reference is: Importing a vehicle - Travel.gc.ca

Hope that helps.

Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom