Vintage Ramsey Winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

reddog90

SILVER Star
Threads
Does anyone know if there is a market for vintage Ramsey winches? I ran this serial number with Ramsey and it's apparently a model DCB200 from August of '78, very similar to their current RE8000. It seems to run fine right now but I'm sure it could use a rebuild. I don't see them on the usual places old 8274s pop up, so I'm not sure how to get rid of it.

LYSgdtC.jpg

Fv9i81s.jpg

Does anyone know if there is a market for vintage Ramsey winches?

No, but they're a respected brand with a good reputation as far as I know. I believe it is a worm-drive, which is strong and powerful if slow.

I don't see them on the usual places old 8274s pop up, so I'm not sure how to get rid of it.

The usual suspects; the Classifieds here on Mud, Craigslist (Houston must be a large market), e-bay?

Sorry, no specific experience buying or selling one. Good luck with your sale.

So why are you wanting to get rid of it? Why would you think it needs a rebuild? Or
does it not work? Up here guys are happy to find them, they are tough and reliable.

So why are you wanting to get rid of it? Why would you think it needs a rebuild? Or
does it not work? Up here guys are happy to find them, they are tough and reliable.

I want to sell it because I need some brake and suspension parts that are a much higher priority right now. And I am terribly biased towards 8274s, so I know I will eventually rebuild one of those for my rig. My winch runs and doesn't leak, so maybe it doesn't need to be rebuilt. I said it needs to be rebuilt because it's a '78 and I'm sure at least my PO didn't service it since they bought the truck in '06. I took a video of it running before I removed it from the truck last night.

That thing is a brute. Whoever gets it is getting a good winch.

I recognize that controller - it's the same as my '88ish REP8000. It's been on 3 of my rigs and is now on my '81 Mini. It's never failed me. I took it off my 80 series to try out a Badland 12K, since the heavy 80 would be better suited to a 12K than an 8K winch. If the Badland fails, the Ramsey goes back on...lol. Seriously, though, a Ramsey is everything a Warn is, IMHO. Warn is just better known. Made in Tulsa, OK - USA
IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG

Edit: Corrected aprox age of winch.

Last edited:
I have someone offering $300 locally. Is that fair? I’ve had it listed for sale for a few weeks with no interest.

I have someone offering $300 locally. Is that fair? I’ve had it listed for sale for a few weeks with no interest.
It sounds like you're not going to be happy until you get an 8274. If you sell it, you'll be without a winch untill you get your 8274, but then you want to rebuild it too, right? The offer sounds a bit low, but in the ball park, IMHO. If you didn't list it for a price and just said best offer, you might want to wait until you get another offer. You could say, - I was thinking more like $500 and see if they counter. But, it's your call.

For an older winch, its hard to pay more than a few hundred dollars, I found that most want a new winch which can be bought for less than buying an older winch and rebuilding it....Im a 8274 man myself but I like the nostalgia and always wanted one when in my younger years of 4 wheelin...

Well now he came back at $220 after looking at cheap smittybilts and badlands online...

come back with $275 firm and see if he goes for it...

Well now he came back at $220 after looking at cheap smittybilts and badlands online...
Let him buy a Chinese made winch. There are plenty of us that want American made, hell some of the new Warn stuff is Chinese made - or at least have foreign made parts. It's going to be worth more to the right buyer, if you can wait. The older, well maintained & cared for Warns and Ramseys are "diamonds in the rough".

Yeah, I'll hold out for another buyer. I was impatient and willing to take $300 on Friday. But a -25% retrade 48 hours after we agreed on a price is just bad business.

Let him buy a Chinese made winch.

+1

If he can't tell the difference between a crappy cheap Chinese winch and a Ramsey, he deserves the chi-com winch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom