Vintage paint color references (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

oregon fj

Serial rescuer of old vehicles
Threads
Considering the effort that some of us have undertaken to find modern paint formulas that match the original vintage colors, I thought I'd start a thread where info can be shared whenever a Mudder has pinned down a modern paint that is "correct" for older rigs. If we get a good selection here, this could possibly be worth making "sticky".

This chip page isn't definitive, as it doesn't have some colors known to have been used prior to '64 or after '67 (India Ivory or Sulphur Yellow, for example), or even some colors we know only from seeing today ("Bandaid"?). I've edited the normal version of it to remove all the metallics. It is possible that not all of these were used on Land Cruisers, but it's a start.

So if any of you have a modern formula or other current reference for one of these (or other early) colors for any paint supplier, please post the info here to help others.

Not pictured:

T-??? India Ivory (beige)

IMG_0469.jpg

Last edited:
I'll start.

T-431 River Blue

This color is still listed in the database of Akzo Nobel, maker of Sikkens, UTech & Wanda auto paint lines. In their master color chip book (called 'ColorMap'), it is referenced as Pg. 472, Chip D1.

screen-shot-2018-07-27-at-7-57-44-pm-png.1754162

screen-shot-2018-07-26-at-6-16-07-pm-png.1753356

img_1231-jpg.1768085

Here's the best outdoor picture I have so far.

img_1373-jpg.1805599

Last edited:
Again this is from Treeroots link I posted above. Same color codes, however the name changed on 64-67 paint codes

Save0060.jpg

Yes, I have seen all those paint chips with Toyota codes before. But what I'm looking to compile here is where actual formulas have been found and noted for modern paints. I found the paint jobbers give you a funny look when you tell them you need paint for a '64 Toyota, code T-431. All they can say is, "do you have a good sample we can scan?" And most of the time we don't.

So I was hoping that as Mudders painfully go through the process of figuring out what matches certain codes, we could post those here.

Hey guys, I'm working on the vintage paint conundrum on my 64 FJ40, and I've found a couple pieces of original paint hidden under some bits. I'm going to use that as a reference to go and eye-match a solid PPG color chip. I'll let you know what I come back with. It looks like Volcanic Beige or Coronado Beige, but the PPG guy said he can't mix the color as found in his system anymore, so we should find a solid color match in his swatch book.

Removed the rear license plate holder. Under the rubber seal was some nice, protected factory paint:
IMG_3288.jpg

When I removed the gearbox hump, I uncovered some more factory paint. The second photo I added a white piece of paper on the left as a reference:
IMG_3289.jpg

IMG_3290.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom