Vibration/clicking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok, a little history here:

Stock 96, 285k on the odo, owned less than a year.

I've replaced all of the wheel bearings and races (timken), and packed with timken grease. I replaced the brakes, and a few weeks ago replaced the front and rear u-joints. I checked the phases and they are both correct: out of phase in front, in phase in the rear.

In an effort to see if the driveshafts were out of balance, I put the truck up on a lift and put it in drive. Around 25 mph, a click developed in the drivers side axle/wheel. Went away when I got off the gas and came back when I got back on it.

I had a bad exhaust leak and replaced the front a rear cat converters with new gaskets. The reason that I mention that is because it was right after I quieted the exhaust that I noticed a driveline vibration/humming that hits at exactly 70 mph, and hums pretty loud at 75 mph. Not sure if it was there before

When I took off the square plug to check the moly level, the whole for the plug was full, and I tried to clear this hole out in order to do the zip tie test. Looks like there is grease in there, but it is hard to tell the level. I took the grease pump and hit it with about 5 pumps. Not sure if it was moly or not, but I didn't have time to go out and get a few tubes.

I am thinking at this point that it may be a dry Birf, a damaged Birf, or not enough grease in the knuckle and the Birf is banging around. Did the 6 and 12 o'clock test on all four wheels, and they are tight. My brother was rotating the driver's wheel forward and reverse, and it was making a metallic clicking sound. He described it as sounding like a metal ball hitting the knuckle.

I've read through a ton of threads, and my plan at this point is to do a full axle service to inspect the birfs, to see if the oil seals have worn out allowing the axle shaft to move more than it should, and to make sure the knuckle is packed with moly grease.

If I put a couple of tubes of moly in the inspection hole and see if it helps, am I wasting my time?

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give the full picture. Thoughts?

Well worth the effort considering the small price in $$ and labor to test the theory. You may be be to see the grease level by looking for a slime line on the knuckle ball. As the knuckle steers lefty righty, it should leave a smear of grease on the ball to show how much you have in each one..

That's a great idea inkpot. When first got the truck, I put a little grease on my ......balls, because they looked a bit dry and I wanted to protect them from rust.

Depending on climate, it could protect them from sweat too:worms:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom