Veterans 2016 Dusy Ershim trail run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am based in Sierra Vista Az right now till the end of fire season.

I saw two Lassen Hotshots crew trucks on my way out from Courtright Reservoir yesterday, almost out to Shaver Lake. I havn't watched any news, so not sure what's going on up there. Lassen is way up North.

Hmmm

My son and I got back from walking through the trail yesterday. Days are really nice, nights are cold, Tuesday morning we had frost. Went swimming in a lake later that same day though. Mosquitoes are pretty bad, we stayed sprayed up the whole time. 31 trees down, the adopt a trail club and Forest Service will take care of that before it opens to the public. Widow Makers and trees parallel in the trail will be interesting. Courtright Reservoir is pretty full, the other lake pictured is East.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I dropped you a pm, Ed. The trip dates have changed to Aug 13-19 (or 20).

4X4 Corps changed their dates to 13-19 August, just got a message.

So, how were things on the trail this past weekend, Ed?

Trail opened today, we saw two quads and a few Jeeps on our way out this afternoon. It's much drier than it was on our walk, some of it is already pretty dusty. It's warmer than on our walk too.

I just looked at my calendar and ran through what I need to do yo be ready on time, I'm not gonna make it. I could probably have the work I need to do on the rig done, but would have no time to gather all that I need, and load it. I pushed through all that quickly a few years ago, and showed up at the trailhead wiped out. And I don't mean normal person wiped out, TBI wiped out. Do you have room for a rider? I can ask Jeff too.

Sent you a pm.

Anything in particular?

Anything in particular?

Thompson hill on the upper exposed section, was more difficult then I've seen it. I had to winch once, and had to back up and stack loose rocks a bunch of times. Fun but difficult. The middle section of the trail was about like normal, but the drop down from Mallard Lake to Lake Camp Lake is serious business. An easy place to roll. But the real difficult part is the north end. After you cross the high spot of the trail above treeline, you begin a series of very difficult steps down. It's funny to say that a down hill was the hard part, but you'll understand when you see it. Plus a big wagon and the tree squeezes add to the drama.

The upside-We had the trail to ourselves. We didn't see another person or truck until day 3 when a group of 5 jeeps passed up while we were camped at Ershim Lake. Very impressive. We did the trail over 4 days, had perfect weather, a well prepared group of 3 trucks and no series breakage. We had to weld up one bracket that broke, and replace a bunch of wheel studs. That, and a few creased fenders was the extent of it. It was serene, quiet, deserted. The perfect Dusy experience.

Take a bunch of extra gas.

Thanks.

Regarding fuel consumption, I'll tell you mine. But you can't have too much gas. In my FJ60 starting full in Shaver lake, I added 15 gallons on the trail. and finished the trail with 1/2 tank. So close to 1 mile per gallon. On Thompson Hill and the long stretch from Thompson Lake to Ershim, you really go through fuel. It's 10,000 feet and the 2F just doesn't run that efficiently. Fuel injected, you will likely do better, but I'd recommend you start with at least 30 gallons of gasoline.

The last reasonably priced fuel going up there is at Prather. They add about $1 per gallon in Shaver Lake (as they should, it's along climb).

Bring all of your spares and tools. In 8 years doing the trail, we've had engine fires, broken sector shafts, broken frames, broken axles, broken wheel studs, broken springs, and lots of little electrical problems. I think we've been welding every year, though this year was minor. So bring lots of spares, especially if you have any unique stuff. I had a spring bushing disintegrate at the top of Thompson this year so the spring would bang around at every rock. Fortunately there were spares. This trail will certainly expose any weakness.

Yeah, I'll have the stock 16 gallon tank plus 3 NATO cans. I'm sure my 5.7l vortec will run better than a 2F at altitude, but mileage won't be spectacular. :( I left a bunch of spares at home, and we'll be running with a group of Jeeps, so I hope I have what I need. I also didn't bring my welding equipment, so I hope someone in the Jeep crew has some. I'll have to ease through the trail as best I can. I did consider pulling my M416 with other (larger and heavier) spares, but didn't want to complicate the trip further with the trailer.

Oddly enough, I had a shock bushing disappear during a trip in the Cascades a couple of weeks ago, and the shock was banging all of a sudden. I cut down a spring bushing to fix it for the run. I don't have a clue how that shock bushing got out of that bore; I never saw the need for that coming. Needless to say, I carry a pair of shock bushings now. ;)

Thanks.

image.jpeg
Have a great trip and enjoy. Your gearing with the NV4500 and Orion will be perfect. I'd at least make room for spare axle shafts and a rear drive shaft. And knuckle studs and.....nevermind. Just have fun and don't break anything. I got through last year in my 40 totally clean. Not even a fender dent. I doubt a 40 could get a trailer up Thompson without a serious all day effort, so that was a wise move leaving it home.

Thanks, Drew. I've never carried wheel lugs, but I'll pick some up at NAPA today. :) That pretty much guarantees that I'll never need any. :D

Spotcruiser, I sent you an email.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom