Veterans 2016 Dusy Ershim trail run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One of the guys from the Arizona club last year wants to go with us. He was in the Navy 65-68, he was attached to the submarine base in San Diego. He had a really good attitude on the whole trip. I already explained my TBI to him too, he said he completely understands.

Cool. Maybe he knows some old friends of mine (doubtful, but it's a pretty small world and it surprises me how interconnected we all are).

I've been working on my truck to finish off a few things that I started earlier. I plan to be ready. :) You're driving your truck, aren't you, Ed? It'll take something big to tow me over the mountain (no, I shouldn't have any issues).

One of the guys from the Arizona club last year wants to go with us. He was in the Navy 65-68, he was attached to the submarine base in San Diego. He had a really good attitude on the whole trip. I already explained my TBI to him too, he said he completely understands.

Cool. Maybe he knows some old friends of mine (doubtful, but it's a pretty small world and it surprises me how interconnected we all are).

I've been working on my truck to finish off a few things that I started earlier. I plan to be ready. :) You're driving your truck, aren't you, Ed? It'll take something big to tow me over the mountain (no, I shouldn't have any issues).

You guys can talk about who knows who when we get up there.

I still have things to finish off too, I need to build rock sliders (one example). I have some of the material already. Yes, I will be taking my truck. My truck has front and rear PTO winches, maybe that will pull you over the hill. Ha ha ha.

4X4corps still havn't posted dates, I sent him an email asking.

I went up to the Dusy North trailhead today, on the way out from camping in another area. There was a little snow on the way up from Kaiser Pass too. A storm was dropping rain and hail off and on. My son and I might walk through to check conditions in 2-3 weeks.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Cool. Getting closer. :cool:

I just got an email from the 4X4Corps trip leader saying he should have the dates posted in a few days.

Good deal, Ed. Thanks.

I just got an email from the 4X4Corps trip leader saying he should have the dates posted in a few days.

Hey Ed,

For gas I'll have my 16 gallon stock tank and two 5-gal NATO cans. I have a third NATO can that I could bring, but it will be difficult find a spot for that. So, 26 gallons should be enough, shouldn't it? Where is the last place to gas up before the trail and the first place after the trail?

Thanks.

What engine? MPG? Last Gas will be Shaver Lake, first gas after the trail will be Huntington Lake.

I've got a '96 Vortec 350. I always just consider mileage for normal driving at 10mpg, which is conservative by at least 2mpg. In 4x with comparable gearing, it probably doesn't do any worse than the old 2F, which got around 7mpg. My lowest gearing is considerably lower than stock, though, but I usually run 3rd and 4th gear on the trail unless I really need to crawl. It seems like I should be able to run the trail up and back with just the Gerry cans. I'll look at the mileage between Shaver Lake, the trail, and Huntington Lake.

Thanks.

What engine? MPG? Last Gas will be Shaver Lake, first gas after the trail will be Huntington Lake.

Last edited:
Shaver to the end we are starting on is about 35 miles. The other end I would just be guessing, it's a lot less though. Trail mileage will be a heck of a lot lower on the trail because you're barely moving.

Yeah, I think I'd be alright with just the two Gerry cans, but I'll bring the third. I prefer not having to worry about it. I'll find room somewhere.

Last edited:
Are you sure those are the correct dates, Ed? He says they will camp at Courtright on Tuesday and head out on the trail on Wednesday. Wednesday this year is the 10th of August. It doesn't quite jive.

Good point, I sent him a pm about it.

Jeff sent me a message with the dates. I changed it above to avoid confusion.

That works mo better. Thanks.

Hopefully there won't be any fires in the area of the Dusy this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom