Vaqcuum Booster (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My dad could fix anything. Thing was he would not say s*it if he had a mouthfull. of it. So I spent hours handing him wrenches while he worked on cars. I rarely asked why, and he rarely told me why. I reckon he thought learing was by osmosis or some such.

Well., it did not work for me. I ended up knowings enough to be dangerous. Now I am 71 YOA

So any recommendations to a dumbass 71 year old will be appeaciated. as to how to get FJ60 brakes working.

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

It would be helpful if you describe what the problem is with your brakes.
Hi there.

The 60 is tricked out with all the usual overlanding add ons. Bull bar, full length roof rack, rear spare carrier and ladder and a 4" lift. In short it is heavy even without my load of camping gear.

When I drove it a lot I was getting concerned about poor braking. I got hurt two years ago and rarely drove it. Now when I drive it the brakes seem really bad....the car just does not want to stop. I live and drive in the Rockies so brakes are a big concern.

Simple diagnosis: (1) plenty of brake pad and shoe thickness. (2) the brake pedal is as hard as a rock. (3) if I pump the pedal, hold it down and start the engine the pedal drops maybe 1/4" of an inch - hardly perceptable. If I do that in my Ford pickup, the brake pedal drops a lot.

Based on my very poor recall of what dad taught me it sounds like a bad booster, but I'm not sure.

Damned if I know why this is coming out in BOLD - I cannot turn it off.

Sounds like your booster is bad.

You can swap it out with a pre 95 4Runner booster, that's considered an upgrade. ( direct bolt on )
If you want to go a bit further, a caliper and master cylinder upgrade is also possible.
You can find all the info about the brake upgrades on here.

It does sounds like the booster is ineffective but that doesn't necessarily mean the booster is bad - how much vacuum is your 2F producing at the booster hose? Is the check valve good?

How old is the brake fluid and the rest of the components in the system?

Hi, Personally when Ive had a rock hard pedal it’s almost always been the booster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom