vacuum advance advice (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1974 fj40 with a stock engine & factory carburetor. I have an aftermarket header system also. The vacuum advance has failed on my distributor causing my cruiser to run like doodoo:doh: . I have tried to find a replacement vacuum advance, however they are not readily available from local sources or spector. I would like to know the best (and cheapest) way to repair this problem. Perhaps switching to an electronic type distributor?

1974 would be vacuum retard in the USA, not advance, unless someone has swapped something in place of the stock distributor.

Your best option would be to find a distributor, igniter and engine side cover from an FJ60 and swapping in that vacuum advance electronic ignition distributor.

it is original as far as I know. where do you think I could round up the fj60 parts you are talking about?

it is original as far as I know. where do you think I could round up the fj60 parts you are talking about?

Post something up in the wanted section, or look in the section right by it where vehicles are being parted out.

Should not be too difficult to find what you want.

Good luck!

-Steve

I offer new and rebuilt vacuum advance distributors with Pertronix electronic ignition already installed. No side cover swap needed. No ignitor needed.

Heck, you don't even need to change your distributor cap!

Hth

Mark A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom