Vac hose question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m looking over the vac hoses on my 97LX. I’ve got a thicker vac hose (off the front of the VCV) under the upper plenum that I plan to replace. Aside from that the other hoses look fresh and OK. However, while some of the smaller hoses are the OEM (all the small ones under upper plenum appear OEM and good) with Japanese characters, some of the smaller ones are non-descript. The hoses going into and out of the EGR look new but they are non-descript. I can pull them off the barbs with little / no resistance. There are two side-by-side vac hoses on top of the plenum next to valve cover. I’ve seen others’ pics and it looks like one of those short hoses (or both) should be clamped to the hard lines. Lack of clamps and non-OEM vac hoses a possible source of vacuum leaks? Stay tuned. I’m trying to find my vacuum gauge I’ve never used to find out.

F238CFF1-A988-4335-9E05-A4315459D919.jpeg

11E2B5FF-FF53-4914-9333-31CE664044F3.jpeg

You can order a meter (or more) of the correct 3.5mm vacuum line from your local Toyota Dealer and cut to fit. If the aftermarket hose is not the correct ID (and slides off easily) then yes it can leak.

There is another aftermarket hose (black) center right in your photo that isn't correct; it runs next to a small diameter vacuum hose in the photo above. That slightly larger hose is (should be) a fuel line rated hose as it carries gasoline vapors. That hose is also available from your local Toyota dealer, can be cut to fit, and should have clamps on it. The smaller diameter 3.5mm vacuum hoses do not use clamps assuming you're using the correct Toyota hose.

Here's a good thread with all the part numbers:

It can be difficult to find aftermarket vacuum/fuel line hose that has the correct ID for our engines so there's really no reason not to use OEM/Toyota hoses as long as they're available.

Last edited:
Don't get bent by non-OEM hoses, but definitely replace or trim any that slide off with no resistance, and remove and check all the ones you can for looseness or cracks.

I just replaced every vacuum line on my son's 80. You'll need 2 meters, and you'll have to cut them to length. Use a hose or PVC pipe cutter. OEM hose is cheap and guaranteed to fit.
1660313903333.png

1660313970142.png

I’m looking over the vac hoses on my 97LX. I’ve got a thicker vac hose (off the front of the VCV) under the upper plenum that I plan to replace. Aside from that the other hoses look fresh and OK. However, while some of the smaller hoses are the OEM (all the small ones under upper plenum appear OEM and good) with Japanese characters, some of the smaller ones are non-descript. The hoses going into and out of the EGR look new but they are non-descript. I can pull them off the barbs with little / no resistance. There are two side-by-side vac hoses on top of the plenum next to valve cover. I’ve seen others’ pics and it looks like one of those short hoses (or both) should be clamped to the hard lines. Lack of clamps and non-OEM vac hoses a possible source of vacuum leaks? Stay tuned. I’m trying to find my vacuum gauge I’ve never used to find out.

View attachment 3084447

View attachment 3084448
Looks like I can rule out vacuum leaks…
F288ABAD-871E-438F-9B86-7E8FA9E20514.jpeg

It stays dead steady right here at idle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom