V6, AT, 4Runner with 4:57 gears stock tires MPG?

I've got a 4Runner but due to two hit & runs it's sitting at a friends.

It's got some L front sheet metal damage...the kind you get when a 3/4 ton Chevy rolls across the front when he THOUGHT :grinpimp: he was gonna push you off the road...and wound up rolling across the front instead. I was pushing him sideways, UP the road at @ 35-45mph.

And a small amount of damage to the rear, where it looks like somebody making a U-turn at 3:00 in mourning miss-judged their turn, and clipped the taillight.

It has a bad O-ring in one of the injectors and whistles in cold weather.

I love this thing to death and H8 to see it sitting.

Runs and drives like a champ...

But the one thing I didn't love about it, was the 6.5 MPG it got.

I would like to know from 1st hand knowledge if that MPG was only b/c of the O-ring, or if that combination (4:57, AT, 235/75x15) has poor economy inherently.

Man I loved that thing...

I would have to do some minor sheet metal work, paint and install the grill & hood to get it back to normal, all of my own labor of coarse.

Or should I just chalk it up as a loss?

EDIT: Sorry, it's a 94. A little heaver than the previous model I think.

Last edited:
When my mileage dipped bad it was a thrashed ring & pinion. Something's weird, is the driveline in good shape? I could feel resistance when I had problems.

Bogo

FOOF
My SIL's 95 4runner gets 18-20MPG and has the 3.0slow motor, 5 speed manual transmission.

Check compression, and get your injectors cleaned or replace them. What else to do??? I haven't had to trace down a problem like that.

If you have been driving and stop, do you spell gas? I'm wondering if you have a high pressure gas leak somewhere? A couple threads on very low mileage have resolved to that.

At 70 it's turning (IIRC) 3,200 or 3,500 RPMs.

That and the bad injector O-ring....

I just don't know if it's a good one to resurrect or not...

Top Bottom