Used Warn M12000 vs. New EVO 12-S (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am deciding between a 3 year old M12000 for $1,000 or something for around the same price new. I am resisting the urge to spend even less on something with less parts availability in the US or known to be lower quality.

A new Warn VR EVO 12-S or an Zeon 12 with steel cable would be in the same pricing ballpark for me. I believe the EVO and Zeon would be IP67 or IP68 rated but the M12 may or not be rated at all.

Fitting into my ARB bumper on my 80 Series with less hassle or kits to move the control box should be a plus for the M12.

Any thoughts?

M12 , upgrade solenoid, synthetic cable, new spliced end and send it. New cheap warns are China made. I would upgrade to albright solenoids regardless of if they currently work or not.

Do you know if the upgraded control pack / solenoid makes these things waterproof? I can’t tell if the control packs or even the motors are sealed on the M12000.

Last edited:
M12k motor is not sealed as others have said, unless they have changed the design significantly. I've had mine underwater multiple times and never had any issues with the motor. I've found the old-style solenoids to be the weak link reliability-wise. However, the Albright-style sealed contactor packs (which I believe M12k now comes with) seem to fix that issue. I am now running a genuine Albright on mine and have experienced zero problems so far.

If the M12000 is in good condition, for $1,000 I think that is the obvious deal here.

IMO, the main thing with any winch is to test it before you leave so you know if you'll have it in the event that you need it. They don't stop working overnight, for the most part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom