upTOP Overland Roof Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I'd throw out another roof rack option for the community, the upTOP Alpha and Bravo series roof racks. They are located in Castle Rock, CO which happens to be extremely close for me. I had their Bravo series on my 2nd Gen Tacoma and really liked it. For me personally I wasn't a fan of many of the roof racks for the 200 series out there and started to ping upTOP about production of theirs. We chatted and we agreed my vehicle would be their demo vehicle several months down the road. So here I am now having the roof rack for a few months and am extremely happy with it.

Rack and Color:
I went with the Alpha series and had the inner part color matched to the body color. I asked about doing bronze to match the rims but they said they have tried in the past and can't make it look right. Suggestion appreciated and moved on. If you go through their website certain color vehicles look sharp with the color match that pops out.

Lighting:
I added the Baja Designs rock lights on the sides and the Baja Designs S2 PRO in the rear. They wired them up to my existing Switch Pros in the cab. I used one switch for left side lights, another switch for right side lights, and lastly another switch for the rear. They do offer a light bar cutout on the roof rack but I plan to put lights on my bumper; eventually.

Extras:
I also asked them to run a weBoost antenna cable into the cab which they did since they were running all the other electrical connections. I used a Rhino Rack antenna bracket to enable the antenna to go up and down when needed. (All about parking in the garage). Then I modified a Yakima Rattler rear wheel bike strap to hold the Antenna in place against a load bar when not in use.

I have zero plans to ever put a tent up there, not getting into here but you could locate one up there if you desire. My plan is an awning, DIY road shower, and eventually some 23zero storage for those longer trips. They offer many different attachment pieces; rotopax, Traction boards, Hi-Lift, and many other options.

Noise:
There is zero increased noise with all the windows shut. I don't even hear it with the windows down. Only time I hear it is if the sunroof or moonroof is opened. Oh and there is no issue there, no contact at all.

I'll do my very best to answer questions or post up more pics and provide a neutral based response to help the community decide if the upTOP meets their needs. My only purpose is to help you all with a decision.
*Full disclosure, I did get a discount on my set up*

DSC_0130.JPG
DSC_0129.JPG
DSC_0128.JPG
DSC_0127.JPG

Last edited:
I emailed these guys about a year ago asking for a 200 version of their rack. I love them! very functional and incredibly well built for a modular option. I wanted nothing to do with an aftermarket rack on this 200...but now I'm tempted

Always good to have more options! Thanks for working with the vendor as the test mule. I’ve done this and the commitment to time and days without truck is not insignificant.

Heads up, UpTop is having a 15% off flash sale on these racks until Sunday (9/25). Use code "OFFGRID15" for 15% off.

What would you like to know? I still very much like it and get compliments all the time. What I like most are the Baja Designs lighting options.

What would you like to know? I still very much like it and get compliments all the time. What I like most are the Baja Designs lighting options.
What are the biggest differences between the Alpha and Bravo racks since you have had both - admittedly on different vehicles. Just looking for generic feedback as I am interested in their gear as a viable option.

The fairing seems odd. Based on the bottom portion of fairing, the aerodynamics would seem to add more drag(mpg hit) . The gap doesn’t appear flush either causing more upward air when carrying flat items.

F05E2FCD-383A-48E8-AC12-493DEC9D6D97.jpeg

What are the biggest differences between the Alpha and Bravo racks since you have had both - admittedly on different vehicles. Just looking for generic feedback as I am interested in their gear as a viable option.

^^^This^^^

Guys this explains the differences between their racks - right off their website - upTop Overland Alpha and Bravo Racks - https://www.uptopoverland.com/pages/uptop-overland-alpha-and-bravo-racks

But to crib sheet it - the alpha has a channel to run wiring that helps protect and give a solid area to mount. That’s pretty much it…

They have been super helpful with information as I’ve been working through rack options for my 200 series.

No specific comments on their fairing design other than they have stated to me that it is quiet and no more additional noise over stock rack.

To add onto what @dharalson said about the differences; the Alpha gets a different shape outside black panel with an inside panel that you can color match like I did. The Bravo outside panel is black and a different shape with no option for an inside panel. You can see that on the pics on their website.

Also the Alpha comes with grab handles and the Bravo does not. However you can buy them separate for the Bravo if you so desire.

@1Maverick I do understand your comment about the fairing being a different shape. I am just relaying another option that exists for us. I can attest the noise is zero different than the factory load bars. I went back and looked at my gas app and can say before and after install I still average between 12-14mpg. If there is a mpg hit, it is minimal.

Last edited:
I went on a deep dive of these racks as Black Friday is in effect.

I like the way they mount the main cross bars to the mounts directly to the vehicle and then add the side pieces.

That way the load is mostly on the cross bar and not on the side rails. This seems much more logical and stronger then mounting side pieces to the car and then relying on 4 bolts to hold the cross bars and all the load.

They do look a bit busy for my taste. But the hybrid of the safari rack like mounting. With the Prinsu/V4x4/Dissent modular rack look is very appealing.

The wind fairing was designed to minimize noise and to avoid having any part of their rack touch the car to avoid scratches and damage due to load on the rack. The V shape allows wind to be deflected over the rack and under the rack to minimize noise. They have good videos explaining their designs.

Hmmm V4x4 is cheaper and simple.
Dissent is art work but pricey for me and way too many bolts. The look isnt my cup of tea.

Uptop Brovo is starting to grow on me.

this system of attachment seems so much stronger....

although I think the crossbar needs to be shifted up just a mil or two to may that clamp flush with the cross bar

1699646816884.png

Remember that the 8 foot pads with two bolts each have a dynamic and static load rating too, so no matter how burly the rack, the sheet metal roof will only ever be so strong.

@Jerz - thanks for posting this option. Two questions please: how did they run the weboost wire into the cab? Second, do you know if this rack can work on an LX570? Thankyou.

I have zero clue if the LX570 and the LC200 have an interchangeable roof in regards to foot placements. However a quick Google search at other vendors selling roof racks (Dissent, Prinsu) are selling them as LC200 and LX570 so sounds like they might be. I def would do a bit more research though.

Attached is a picture of the holes drilled in the roof for cab access. The Weboost is the smaller cable where the others are wires for the 6 BD lights I have up there. They also pre-wired for me to have a light bar up top which you can see the extra connector in teal there. Or I can use for something else. Nice to have options. And no you can not see that cluster of wires from the ground, well hidden behind the side panels.
IMG_4263.jpg

You can easily run power to the roof without drilling holes in the roof.

Rear hatch grommet for the rear and down the front pillars into the engine bay. Then just use the cab access on the driver side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom