Upgrading a 1HDT to 1HDFT - Glow System Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lelandEOD

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm swapping a 1HDT for a 1HDFT and am unsure how to handle the differences between glow systems. The HDJ80 had a euro spec super glow system the the resistor on the intake manifold. The 1HDFT donor uses the glow screen and there is no provision for the glow resistor. For those of you who have upgraded your engine, how did you integrate the 1HDT wiring/glow timer to work with the 1HDFT glow screen?

Unsure where you live and what temps you get in winter but I have zero issues starting my FT with the glow screen disconnected / removed down to -5 degrees Celsius. I'm confident it'll still start easily way below that but where I live it doesn't get any colder to test.

Thanks for the reply. I've heard many people say the glow screen isn't necessary on a DI engine in good condition. I still feel like it would be good to have as I live in Northern Nevada and it does get really cold here during the winter. ....like down to -24°C on occasion.

Guess I'm going to have to experiment here. This truck is a '93 with the European superglow timer that uses a primary and secondary glow relays to control cold start. I'm not sure if I should tie the secondary power leads (the ones that connect to the glow resistor on the 1HDT) together for after-glow or if I should just remove the afterglow part of the glow circuit altogether. I'll update this thread with what I end up doing for future readers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom