UPDATE: DIY Alignment-Success! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Took my 04 LX in for an alignment, and I don’t think they even attempted to adjust camber or caster. I can tell visually that I have substantial positive camber and can tell from the driving manners that I don’t have nearly enough positive caster. I’ve read the FSM instructions and can calculate the number and direction of graduations to move the front and rear UCA cam bolts. My question is: has anyone actually attempted this, and what can you share about the results?

You can definitely get a decent alignment uhhh....manually. A few pieces of angle iron and a tape measure will get you farther than you may think.

Amazon product ASIN B009EVLVDQ
Here you go, this tool is only good if you know that your alignment is with in specs to start.
Did you get a print out of your alignment? Post it please. Most places won't even try to make an adjustment as long it's with in specs.
I love it when they tell you the machine says it's all green meaning the reading are in specification, a tech told me this after he aligned my 4runner but it still pulled to right.:bang:

So I just went for it. Knew I couldn’t get too much negative camber or too much positive caster, so I used the FSM chart and cranked the rear adjusting bolts 9 graduations ‘longer’ and the front adjusting bolts 9 graduations ‘shorter.’ This introduced some toe-out so I shortened both tie rods by 2 full revolutions. Can visually tell camber is improved and can tell by driving that caster is improved as well. Doesn’t wander in the lane anymore, and will now straighten itself out from a full-lock turn.

Some more background: 2” lift (21” front hub center to fender lip). Stock UCAs. All four UCA adjusting bolts were dead center when I started.

Did you check toe in/ out with a tape measure afterwards? If not report back in about 1500 miles when you have no front tires left.
Yeah I just measured between inside tire edges on the front and rear of the tire, got about 1/8” toe-in by that measurement. We’ll see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom