Unique Utility Trailer Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had to come over here to see this build.
Post lots of pictures, It will be an interesting project.
You hit the nail on the head choosing this body for your build.

The frame and axles will come together fast.
Can't wait to see more!
Mark

So I mysteriously hurt my knee last week. No specific instance of injury, but swollen to the point where I couldn't walk normal and certainly couldn't work as well.
9 days later I'm back at it, light duty but at least it got me into the garage.
I used a few come alongs and brought the utility body high enough so I could slide the new shoes underneath.
From there I measured inside rim to inside rim and got a measure of 52''.
Still looking into it but I think the adapters I need come in 1.5 inches x 2 gives me 3 inches.
49 inches is the magic axle length. Will order it with electric brake and e brake.
Will shoot for 5,200 pound axle. As some mentioned earlier if you use the 3 inch diameter axle it seems to up the weight capacity.

The only down part about using the same tire size as my rig is the overall height of the trailer.
I will also need to do some trimming to make the meats work.
Trailer height at the moment will be 77''. One reason it's so high is that I want to be comfortably able to step under the doors when they are open.
I want to have the RTT hang over so I can walk under it and use the add a room feature.

I'm not overly concerned about being top heavy because all the weight is down low and I don't think it will be a huge issue.
Plus once I fill the water tank and a possible aux fuel tank, it should offset any concern.

Enough with the chat, here are some pics.

photo6.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

Lookin good Prez! Look forward to seeing the progress first hand this year!

Thanks Scott!
I think it will evolve over the course of this year, gives me some time to fine tune it for Labrador.
I'm really liking all the options so far.

Placed my order with Redneck supply in Albany NY.
Jim and Mark have been super helpful so far.
My measurement ended up being 49 inches after I subtracted spacers.
Went with the 3'' diameter axle as well which beefs me up to 5200 lbs.
Passed on the EZ lube because I have heard bad stuff using them in this application.

2 week wait time which is somewhat disapointing, wish I had done this earlier.
I ended up paying $330. before shipping and I added the parking brake feature. Was only $9?
Will see if that ends up sticking....I think someone at Dexter forgot to add a 0 to that quote..

Placed my order with Redneck supply in Albany NY.
Jim and Mark have been super helpful so far.
My measurement ended up being 49 inches after I subtracted spacers.
Went with the 3'' diameter axle as well which beefs me up to 5200 lbs.
Passed on the EZ lube because I have heard bad stuff using them in this application.

2 week wait time which is somewhat disapointing, wish I had done this earlier.
I ended up paying $330. before shipping and I added the parking brake feature. Was only $9?
Will see if that ends up sticking....I think someone at Dexter forgot to add a 0 to that quote..

9 bucks?...hell, I wouldv'e got one...lol!

Nice folks to deal with up there. Maybe get the frame together...supposed to be stellar weather after Friday. I did see those pics about the EZ Lube...kind of eye opening.

Good luck, Pat

Jim and Mark were super helpful till they forgot to ship my axle......
Spoke with a contact that was going to let me use his commercial address to save a few bucks.

When he told me it hadn't been delivered yet I called and they reassured me that there was a miscommunication and that things like this don't happen to them often. I do believe them, but aggravated none the less.

Been wrenching on the cruiser so it's kept me occupied. I'll start chomping away at the bit soon.

Love the Idea Bob. I also have a 'thing' for utility/service beds and this is a GREAT IDEA ! You may have another job. HEHE ! I'm hoping to use a Toyota minitruck bed and hook up the extra gas tank. How big of tanks are hoping to put on there ?

Keep up the good work - subscribed.

krazi

I picked up a 13.5 gallon water tank for $20 from a parted pop up.
I think that's what I'll start at. If you conserve that can get you pretty far.
Anything over that starts to get heavy.
I figure 108 pounds and change over the axle should be fine and help with the center of gravity.

13.5 gallons is not very much if there is a female in the group or if there are little ones.

skersfan said:
13.5 gallons is not very much if there is a female in the group or if there are little ones.

Or bearded men like me... I love a good shower!

-Daniel

Sent from deep in the mountains of Honduras using only sticks and rocks.

There will be camps that we will be staying at that we can top off at.
I'm not looking for a luxury hotel shower!

What's the make of the utility box you're using?

What's the make of the utility box you're using?

Can't recall off the top of my head.
They are a large company that make firetruck bodies and things of that sort.
Next time I'm in the garage I'll let you know

Not much of an update here.
Steel has been ordered, Max Coupler has arrived, wiring and loom has been picked up as well.

This build is going to start heating up over the next few weeks.

We were hoping to take it on our 2 week road trip this summer but with a month left to go I think that may be a stretch!

No updates. Life has been busy and just got back from a 2 week back country adventure in the 80.
I did order wheel spacers and am trying to have it ready by the end of September for the Fall Gathering!

Hey Bob once you finish this build is the old trailer up for sale? I'm very interested. I have a bad case of trailer envy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom