Builds Union's Atlas Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So it's finally time to start building my 2017 200 Series. I wanted to create a running thread to establish an initial gameplan, post pictures, and solicit constructive feedback.

Lets start with intent. The purpose of this build is to enable a slightly more capable and much better-looking Land Cruiser.

A little background on me, the primary user. I’ve owned a 99 Tacoma which I installed Total Chaos long travel front end. I had a shop remove the bed and installed a tube bedcage and triple bypass shocks. After I sold that, I went to a 2006 Tundra and then a 2016 Tacoma. In my opinion they really messed up the gearing on the Tacoma and I longed for another V8. That’s where Atlas comes in. I thoroughly enjoy backpacking and have all the nice gear for that, so this build will be less of an expedition build than most. My first trip in Atlas involved the wide-open Nevada desert, 4 guys and a 100 pound dog. What I found was that the rear suspension was especially soft for the additional gear weight. Additionally, the storage space was entirely inadequate. Going forward I knew that I had to upgrade the suspension and storage options if I wanted to make longer trips with 4+ people, gear and a dog.

Suspension:

ICON w/ CDCV (still debating on 600# or 700# springs)

SPC Racing UCAs (adjustable)

Armor: ARB Summit, Slee or TT Rear, Budbuilt Overland Protection, Slee Sliders

Tires: Nitto RG 285/75/17

Wheels: Rock Warriors powder coated satin black w/ BORA .75’’ Spacers

Recovery: WARN VR-12S w/ ARB recovery points

Storage: Gamivit Expo+++ Rack ran up

Lighting: Rigid 40’’ Midnight Spot, (aftermarket flood lights on the bumper?)

I had opted for Icon due to their availability, they are rebuildable, and you can adjust the ride height. I think the CDCV is a no brainer to fine tune adjustments. I’m still debating about what pound spring to go with. The ARB Summit retains the functionality of the headlight washers and I want the ability to still use the stuff I paid for.

The biggest point of internal debate for me has been the tire size. I firmly believe that 35’’ tires look like the right size of the vehicle but with the massive amount of massaging required to get those working with minimal rubbing is beyond me at this point. I then decided to opt for 305/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers which measure at 33.86 x 12.24. Seeing @dwai and the headaches there, I finally decided on 285/75/17 which measure 33.86 x 11.26. Keep in mind, I still plan on running .75’’ spacers and I still might have some issues with rubbing but the narrower tire should help. It’ll fill out the wheel well a little more and look better and I can always go with a larger tire later. I don’t believe I’ll need a KDSS reloc kit for this.

So we’ll see how this goes and I hope to post pics whenever I remember. Atlas will be going into the shop in the next couple weeks for suspension and the front bumper, maybe the rear bumper but I think there is a pretty long waitlist on what I want. Thanks for reading and for all the help from so many of you out there with my constant questions!

Union

What are you doing for an air compressor? Do you already have a portable one?

I have a 30 dollar walmart cheap one right now. It seems to do the job, just takes a while. I've thought about portable tanks or ARB's portable option but I don't have interest in doing a permanent onboard air solution right now.

fitting 305 70 17s aren’t that bad. When I saw union atlas, I thought u were talking about snowboard bindings lol.

I have a 30 dollar walmart cheap one right now. It seems to do the job, just takes a while. I've thought about portable tanks or ARB's portable option but I don't have interest in doing a permanent onboard air solution right now.

Build seems sound all around. Just mentioning this as a good compressor is a great asset in this hobby, especially with bigger tires. It takes away any hesitation to air down, and air down lower, because filling becomes cake. With 34" tires, each tire is going to take upwards of 20-30++ minutes to fill with a cig lighter compressor. Multiply that out by 4 tires, and perhaps needing to cool down because of duty cycle...you get the point. OBA is not really necessary. There's many good alligator clamp style units out there.

Build seems sound all around. Just mentioning this as a good compressor is a great asset in this hobby, especially with bigger tires. It takes away any hesitation to air down, and air down lower, because filling becomes cake. With 34" tires, each tire is going to take upwards of 20-30++ minutes to fill with a cig lighter compressor. Multiply that out by 4 tires, and perhaps needing to cool down because of duty cycle...you get the point. OBA is not really necessary. There's many good alligator clamp style units out there.

Thanks and I didn’t realize it’d take that long. In my past life, airing back up was cake because we’d use one of the gas stations near all the SoCal deserts we’d race around in and lowering to such extreme psi’s wasn’t required.

You'll want a compressor no doubt about it. If you don't want to spend much, get the Viair 88P which is less than $60 usually on Amazon. I keep that one in the Lexus and it's about 80% as quick as the larger Viair 450P I keep in the Land Cruiser and is actually easier to operate than the larger one.

Thanks and I didn’t realize it’d take that long. In my past life, airing back up was cake because we’d use one of the gas stations near all the SoCal deserts we’d race around in and lowering to such extreme psi’s wasn’t required.

No problem. I only point it out as it was a recent realization for me too after crutching too long on gas stations (many with inflators in disrepair), airing down only minimally or not at all, and ultimately having to fall back on my own marginal portable compressor too many times while wife and children wait and are hot/hungry/hangry.

Personally, I’d put having a good portable air compressor/OBA as #2 mod just after tires.

On stock diameter tires, a basic compressor is okay. Once one goes to larger tires, the volume of air required made a smaller compressor completely inadequate. Then I started towing a lot and with the added pressures needed… sucked! For that reason, and all the benefits of airing down, it really deserves to be a high priority purchase/mod. To pair with the rest of your well rounded build.

@TeCKis300 All of that makes sense to me. I’ve looked at ARBs dual compressor and their single one. I’ve also looked at a compressed air tank so I don’t have to integrating a compressor into the vehicle. I could pick up a portable ARB compressor or similar. The build continues...

A friend with an 80 has an AC Compressor mod and it is the fastest onboard air I have seen. It is belt driven.

Update:

- Should be sending the wheels to be powder coated this time next week.

- I talked with my local shop and they're informed me that the ARB Summit bumper wont be shipped out until the end of February. I was also looking at ARB's fine print and it doesn't even state that the WARN VR-12S winch will fit that bumper but it does mention the 10S and the 12, so we'll see what ARB has to say regarding that.

- Slightly bummed that I won't be able to put on a rear bumper right now due to lack of availability/options. I'm hoping the 285/75 Ridge Grappler spare will still fit in the spare location (with the Rock Warrior mod).

Last edited:
Update:

- I talked with my local shop and they're informed me that the ARB Summit bumper wont be shipped out until the end of February. I was also looking at ARB's fine print and it doesn't even state that the WARN VR-12S winch will fit that bumper but it does mention the 10S and the 12, so we'll see what ARB has to say regarding that.

- Slightly bummed that I won't be able to put on a rear bumper right now due to lack of availability/options. I'm hoping the 285/75 Ridge Grappler spare will still fit in the spare location (with the Rock Warrior mode).
Yes, I have a newer model and sometimes wish I had a <=2015. Getting a Slee bumper installed in 2 weeks. Good but very expensive and only available locally.

Which reminds me. I was cleaning out the garage (OK, starting to clean out the garage) this weekend and saw my old (3 years old) VIAIR 400 portable compressor. If any of you local guys want it I'll sell it for $50.

Update:

- Slightly bummed that I won't be able to put on a rear bumper right now due to lack of availability/options. I'm hoping the 285/75 Ridge Grappler spare will still fit in the spare location (with the Rock Warrior mode).
If you are ok with a proper bull bar then skip the Summit and get a real one, i.e. Deluxe ARB. If ARBs is too expensive, Dobinsons and others are not expensive and pretty well built.

If you are ok with a proper bull bar then skip the Summit and get a real one, i.e. Deluxe ARB. If ARBs is too expensive, Dobinsons and others are not expensive and pretty well built.

Can you enlighten me on why the Summit Bar is not a real bull bar? Am I missing something or did you mean the Sahara. AFAIK, the Deluxe isn't offered for the 2016+, only the Summit which is based on the Deluxe from the <=2015 but incorporates the use of headlight washers, parking sensors, etc etc.

Can you enlighten me on why the Summit Bar is not a real bull bar? Am I missing something or did you mean the Sahara. AFAIK, the Deluxe isn't offered for the 2016+, only the Summit which is based on the Deluxe from the <=2015 but incorporates the use of headlight washers, parking sensors, etc etc.

It’s a “real bull bar.”

Strong and legit...ready for critter strikes.

No idea why it was suggested otherwise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom