Ultimate Adventure 2011 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I haven't heard back about the Ultimate Adventure yet but that hasn't stopped me from taking my 60 apart looking for problems.

I found a loose pinion on the 14 bolt so I have the rear axle apart now. I want to put in a solid pinion spacer instead of the crush sleeve. Seems that you can't buy a solid spacer so I will have one made next week. I will have the pinion adapter machined down as well since I think I smacked it on a rock causing the loose pinion. Thinking of installing a 14 bolt pinion protector as well.

I just finished installing a transfer case ebrake. Since I didn't have an ebrake after installing the 14 bolt rear axle with disk brakes I needed to find an ebrake. TSMMFG FJ 60 Land Cruiser sells a bolt on kit that installed great. It seems to clamp well but since the cruiser is on jack stands I can't fully test it yet. I had to modify the stock ebrake cable but easy to do. I had to modify my rear antiwrap bar cross member to get the rotor to fit and that took most of the afternoon yesterday but its done now.

Next I'm looking into adding one or two bolts to my steering knuckles. I will be making my own setup so I hope to get going on that this week.

My rear axle has 9/16 wheel studs but the front adapters have M14. I figured I would modify the front adapter to put 9/16 wheel stubs in but trying to drill out the holes with a piece of junk HF drill press I got a couple of the holes crooked and by the time I got them straightened out the studs are loose. :bang:

Trying to find lug nuts to fit aftermarket wheels sucks. I think I will be good to go after new wheel adapters come in and I get them machined to fit a cruiser and I install the splined M14 lug nuts.

My cruiser has dust on it from being in the garage and getting worked on. Time to get this thing back together and on the trails. :steer:

FJ60 on 39" BFG Krawlers.
ebrake.jpg
60_39.jpg

That E-brake setup looks great! Glad to see you got that done, I think every good 4x4 deserves a good E-brake, even if it's got an auto. Pretty cool that it will still hold the front with the rear driveshaft gone. Seems like a much better system than having it on the rear axle.

That really sucks about the rear pinion. Always bums me out when I build something better thinking I won't have to do it again.... only to find out I'm fixing it 6 months later. Oh well, I guess that's off roading. Glad you caught that before taking a high speed road trip, that long high speed heat cycle might have lunched that gearset.

Can't wait to see that big bastard flexing on 39's!

You need to get some type of stock beater like my little red tricycle. They're really a lot of fun to wheel when your main rigs is down. In my case, my main rig is always down. :crybaby: It will only work for you if you don't break it though. You'll end up putting Dana 60's under it. ;)

Wow - so do you have to let the air out of your tires to clear the garage door?

Waiting to hear how that parking brake works for you - I've got to do something on the 40 eventually.

Its nice to hear about good customer service these days!

let us know how are the Air soft pellets working? How much did you you use per tire?
I have been thinking about trying these instead of Equal. Seems like the pellets have several advantages over the equal.

Last edited:
10 oz of airsoft pellets in each tire.

I don't think the cruiser will fit out the door with the 39's on. For now I'm hanging onto the 37's.

I missed work a couple days this week with a nasty sinus infection. I'm on antibiotics now and feeling much better. The only problem is that I didn't get anything done on the cruiser this week. I have my 14 bolt pinion at a guys place that Justin from Redline recommends to get a solid spacer made. His father-in-law passed away this week so he is running a little behind as well. I was hoping to take the cruiser out to see where the 39's rub this weekend but not happening this weekend.

Rick Pewe called me the other day to let me know I'm officially invited to join the Ultimate Adventure 2011.

My buddy Mike was in Arizona last week and stopped into Randy Ellis Designs to checkout the 2011 F150 they are building for UA2011. It has custom IFS and rear leaf springs. Its boat sided and the bed is bobbed. Mike said it's looking impressive.

http://blogs.4wheeloffroad.com/6735076/ultimate-adventure/ultimate-a-arms/index.html

Rick Pewe called me the other day to let me know I'm officially invited to join the Ultimate Adventure 2011.

My buddy Mike was in Arizona last week and stopped into Randy Ellis Designs to checkout the 2011 F150 they are building for UA2011. It has custom IFS and rear leaf springs. Its boat sided and the bed is bobbed. Mike said it's looking impressive.

Ultimate A-Arms | Ultimate Adventure Blog & Opinions at 4Wheel & Off Road Magazine

Congrats Chuck, lucky dawg!

Very cool!

Sweet/ will have to buy the dvd/magazine with a 60 doing work!!! Congrats- thats a once in a lifetime trip for sure man!

Here is a picture of the cage going in.
100MEDIA_IMAG0486.jpg

Pretty Penny is yo yo dieting.

First gaining weight and then loosing weight.
Cage.jpg
fender_scrap.jpg

cage is painted and interior is back in.
Cage_painted.jpg

Looking good! i like the Color! i think this is the fastest justin has ever turned a truck around!

I think you should Trim out the top part of that fender to make the Radius the same.. but thats just me ;) Pretty penny sure has changed since we met you a few years back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom