Uh oh what now? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sacto60

1987 FJ60 2" OME 33s
Threads
whilst doing a drain/fill of my 87 FJ60 Trans/TC I uhhh dropped a short piece of clear plastic tubing down the full hole of the trans. I had those damn squeeze quart valvoline gear oil bottles and the fill hole was in an awkward spot. I knew I had a pump thing in the garage, but I found a 3-4” piece of tubing that bent and fit snug on the bottle tip. Not snug enough. Popped off and dowwwwn the hatch.

So I’m guessing I just fill it (I’ll strain and refill w the used gear oil), drive around the block, see if it floats and settles near the drain hole, and re-drain again? It’s soft pliable tubing 3-4” max.

It might settle out of the way in some harmless location OR possibly get lodged in a synchronizer ring causing untold havoc - and basically ruining the transmission.
Or it could get ground up in the gears and the plastic shrapnel ending up clogging the works.
There is a risk running it with that tube in there. Maybe nothing will happen or maybe something bad.
The proper course of action is to drop the transmission and remove the top cover and fish it out of there.
The chances are extremely slim that you’ll be able to pluck it out of the bottom via the drain hole. Like a million to one.

Last edited:
@OSS - is it possible to take the transmission tunnel off and take the transmission top off that way? I cannot remember - maybe it’s possible??

I don’t remember if there’s enough space after removing the floor plate.to successfully remove the transmission top cover. There is no harm in removing the floor plate and checking out the situation. It’s helpful to have it removed anyway when removing the transmission

I don’t remember if there’s enough space after removing the floor plate.to successfully remove the transmission top cover. There is no harm in removing the floor plate and checking out the situation. It’s helpful to have it removed anyway when removing the transmission
I was thinking of getting one of those wire fed camera scope things off Amazon and running it down the fill hole to see what’s doin. The also sell little hooks and pinchers on wires. If I’m the type of wrench what drops tubes in fill holes I’m not the type that can simply drop a transmission parked on the street.

I was thinking of getting one of those wire fed camera scope things off Amazon and running it down the fill hole to see what’s doin. The also sell little hooks and pinchers on wires. If I’m the type of wrench what drops tubes in fill holes I’m not the type that can simply drop a transmission parked on the street.

Yep you are in a bad situation - FYI you ain’t gonna fish it out.

Just run it.

Here’s a photo of the transmission gears with the top cover removed — to get a lay of the land. May help you visualize what’s inside. This picture is of a 5 speed transmission but the 4 speed looks almost identical in the main case.

9D3A8E7E-308A-4271-BA9E-B403BE0E6080.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom