twin carb 1968 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there

Need a bit of advice, I have two fj40s one is 1968 and one is 1969., the 1968 one has a twin choke crab on it and I think it is ready to be replaced. Should i try and put the same back on it (what ever it is) or should i just fit something else anyway??

Giles

merry Xmas Jonny

sorry for the delay here is a pic
image.jpg
image.jpg

Johnny, a "twin choke crab" equals a two barrel carb.

OP - Looks Aisin, likely original, and in my and many other's opinion it's the best carburetor for the FJ40, bar none.

What brings you to say " I think it is ready to be replaced."?

Is there a difficulty in how your engine runs and operates going down a road?

Having another look at your carb, Giles, it looks as though a piece of vacuum hose from the open pipe of the carb to the vacuum can above the pipe might change how the carb works for the better, and although it might be the image I don't see linkage connected to the lever which operates the accelerator pump? It's difficult to tell for the shadows but if that pump is not operating it would have a decided effect on the truck's behavior when you step on the gas.

Last edited:
UK it's hard to say what was original. In the US market the 68 had a single barrel carburetor. Seen a early two barrel carburetor but don't think this would be that one. The intake also looks like a later thinner one. Same with the oil filter which stock would have been a canister type. The spin-on oil filter started 3/69 which seems to be date things changed in many markets. Also the date that Toyota decided to list as the oldest LC in their parts system and not just in the US.

wow you guys have really got my small brain confused. my mechanic friend has taken a look at the carb and says that it is pissing fuel out from the spindel, I mentioned a rebuild kit to him and he said he think that might well work as he suspects that fuel might be coming from above,,,does this sound right and how do i know i am buying the right rebuild kit??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom