Turning Noise, not clicking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiser804

SILVER Star
Threads
I have had this noise since I completed my front axle replacement and lift install. I rebuilt the axle, installed an OME medium lift. New axle is e-locker in my 96, FZJ80.

So now, occasionally, when I am turning right I get sort of a hollow moaning noise at one particular point in the rotation of the steering wheel. This happens especially when I am entering my parking garage where I am turning and going over a speed hump at the same time. Moan is not a great description, but it is not a squeal and it doesn’t sound like a power steering noise. I am thinking it is related to the other steering components. After the turn I can replication maybe once or twice after it happens initailly and then it stops. I cannot replicate in my garage. I have visually inspected all the components knuckles, steering arm, stabilizer and I don’t see any signs of scraping, and checked for play, everything seems tight.

I have not re-torqued the steering knuckles but I am thinking that the turion bearings could be a possible culprit. But I really don’t think I had any binding when I was attaching the steering arms to the knuckles and both sides appear to be totally flush, top and bottom.

What else should I be looking at? Is there anything in the steering column that might have been affected by the axle swap and lift? TRE,s? Again, I checked for play per LankTanks check and I am solid.

Maybe not the solution but something to think about...

Whether you are left handed or right handed affects how one grips the steering wheel when turning.

A right handed person may normally pull the steering wheel with their left hand while making a left hand turn and push with their right hand while making a right hand turn.

I recently replaced the clock spring in my 97 to eliminate a squealing noise and then had to replace to rubber boot/gasket at the firewall also. After replacing the rubber boot/gasket at the firewall I get a similar sound (a hum or slight moan that lasts just a second) when making odd turns.

After all of this I still had a clicking noise from the steering column. I adjusted the tilt of the steering wheel and it went away.

What went away, the clicking or the momentary hum/moan?

I am think along the same lines, sort of. I think with the lift and the CC bushings I have changed the steering geometry just enough to make something rub when all the conditions are right.

The hum/moan is the PS... You might not think it is but I bet it is. Have you flushed the system since you have had it? I bet the juice in there is tired. I had a hum/moan, even when not turning. Flushed the system and it went away.

Give it a whirl.

What went away, the clicking or the momentary hum/moan?

I am think along the same lines, sort of. I think with the lift and the CC bushings I have changed the steering geometry just enough to make something rub when all the conditions are right.

The clicking went away after adjusting steering wheel tilt.

I used an ounce of seal conditioner and that stopped the momentary hum/moan.

I agree with peepers that the power steering fluid needs a flush. would recommend a flush with OEM fluids. If you use a synthetic, Mobil1, etc., you may see some fluid leaking due to worn seals.

Another week or so and I'll have time to do a PS flush.

I did a PS flush prior to the axle/lift installation, less that 6 months ago. Used Mobil1. I suppose the pump could be crapping out on me.

But the sound is only momentary durning the rotation of the steering wheel. It does not last the entire duration of the rotation.
:bang:

Ok, so the noise only happens at one particular point in the rotation or the steering wheel and it only happens when I am turning right.

Any suggestions for trouble shooting this?

Ok, so the noise only happens at one particular point in the rotation or the steering wheel and it only happens when I am turning right.

Any suggestions for trouble shooting this?
Hello
Did you resolve this issue? What was the culprit? I’m having similar issue with my truck. My truck all stock. Could it be related to the front wheel bearing inner/outer?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello
Did you resolve this issue? What was the culprit? I’m having similar issue with my truck. My truck all stock. Could it be related to the front wheel bearing inner/outer?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom