Turbo seals about to blow? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What would be a good way to test if crankcase pressure is too high? Oil in the intake? Compression test to check and see if the pistons need new rings? Just looking for input s ok no can begin testing. I vent to atmosphere with the pcv and it doesn’t blow any amount of smoke, but has the occasional drip, but nothing excessive

Compression or leak-down test.

Well, pulled the cross over pipe and connection leading down to the compressor side of the turbo, and both were incredibly clean inside, no oil that I could find and nothing that would even come off with a finger, aside from maybe about a drop or two at the connection from the turbo to the cross over. The intake manifold side is literally still shiny silver inside. So I think blowby is very minimal, but I’ll do a compression/leak down test just to be sure the numbers are within spec.

In my mind, what I believed were turbo seals about to blow, may just be an oil gasket on the bottom of the turbo that’s a teeny weepy, paired with the wrong turbine housing clamp letting exhaust soot out and caking it up.

429BA2B9-F258-41B8-9DF3-1B25EAC20916.jpeg

32C3143D-5CD5-4D9E-8C2C-496786764A96.jpeg

A23A4C47-EB58-4DC3-AC32-9694A17D6A7A.png

C5D02931-CC49-49F5-8F4F-48F38141B454.png

1B22F3CB-4853-4F43-9942-90BF83A46942.png

That's exceptionally clean!

That's not an OEM band clamp. And it looks like it's tightened all the way?

There is no seal at this junction. It's metal on metal.

I'd try and source a new OEM style clamp. I think the turbo flange is 86mm, the closest v band your light to find would be 3.5" which is 89-90mm?? May be enough if a difference that you aren't getting it tight.
Also, I think the turbo flange is shaped differently (thinner) than what you'd see with a typical v band joint

View attachment 3242846
Well, thought I’d share. Finally got around to pulling the old clamp, came off without much effort, but as it came off….surprise. A chunk of the lip(turbo side) fell out. I suspect this may be where all the exhaust soot was leaking out from. Am I screwed and now needing a turbo replacement? Not sure the new clamp will seal the two surfaces now that that chunk is missing

9F2B3CA7-19FF-42C6-A912-94F25F75BA14.jpeg

I cant think of a way to repair that
Replacing the center section of the turbo could be possible but may be cost prohibitive vs new turbo replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom