Turbo related "hissing" sound and low power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'Day All,

I've had a niggling problem for a while now and just can't get to the bottom of it. I have a 2003 LC Amazon Auto 4spd (UK Spec) with a 1HDFTE engine and 150k miles.

Without getting into War and Peace about the issue I wonder if a kind soul could validate a couple of theories I have about the problem.

Main symtoms are: engine low on power and goes into "limp" mode if pushed hard while towing a 3 ton rig. Also a definite "hissing" sound starts the moment the turbo starts to spool up and there is very slow oily drip coming from the lower pipe coming out of the intercooler.

I suspect there may be an air leak in the pipe coming from the intercooler. I'm hoping that if I can stop the leak the hissing will stop and the engine will be able to breathe properly again and not need to go into limp mode when towing.

So a specific question I'd like to understand: Is there much pressure coming out of the intercooler? The reason I ask is I've re-seated and replaced the jubilee clip on the lower intercooler pipe and thoroughly cleaned out the intercooler. I also cannot see any visible cracks or tears in the pipe. Could it be that when the turbo isn't spooled up the pressure in this pipe is low and the split/leak isn't visible but once pressure builds the split opens up? If the return pipe on the intercooler doesn't generate much pressure (enough to open a little tear in the pipe) then I'll start looking for another angle on this problem.

Any advice welcome.

P.S. I had the turbo taken off and inspected and the respected mechanic was confident there were no issues with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom