Tuffy center console install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up a Tuffy #012 series II security console 8" wide for my LX-450 in the color Spice which I knew wasn't a match and I was going to paint it anyways.

$255 to my door...you can check on Tuffy website for "scratch & dent" deals for 180 ish from time to time.

For my install I used 1 1/2" angle iron for front of box and 1 1/4" square tubing for mounting box securely underneath to bracket.

005.JPG

019.JPG

004.JPG

018.JPG

015.JPG

I ended up cutting a piece off my LX console for a way to cover up gap between Tuffy and shifter console...

025.JPG

020.JPG

Pretty awesome to have an actual arm rest within reach and comfortable to boot, isn't it? Pretty much identical to how I installed my 10" tuffy. Probably my favorite comfort mod to date.
Still haven't figured out a good way to fill that gap. Putting the tuffy cup holder there would take a fair amount of trimming of the shifter console. Unless you put it on top, but then it'd look weird. Pic is with the cup holders just resting there.

You have any ideas, or anyone else for that matter?

20180328_122252.jpg

Perfect timing on the 2nd post @woodsman 44 lol

Pretty awesome to have an actual arm rest within reach and comfortable to boot, isn't it? Pretty much identical to how I installed my 10" tuffy. Probably my favorite comfort mod to date.
Still haven't figured out a good way to fill that gap. Putting the tuffy cup holder there would take a fair amount of trimming of the shifter console. Unless you put it on top, but then it'd look weird. Pic is with the cup holders just resting there.

View attachment 2138682

JTSS, I moved the console as far forward as possible and mounting cup holder higher up...;)

This pic is just a mock set up ...not bolted in yet..

021.JPG

Moving center console forward and cup holder above gives one a lot of room in back seat area...

006.JPG

Trying to find a good matching color...tried rustoleum gloss sand...nope, it just doesn't work out, way to light...

Just sprayed with a darker tan/grey, I think I've found a match..pics to follow

005.JPG

006.JPG

Rustoleum Textured Bronze #7226 is a very close match. Easiest found online.

X2 Rustoleum Bronze.

Fridge slide painted with it:

IMG_1391.jpg

Last edited:
With console out I had a chance to clean up and put down some sound barrier....and found the missing .44mag round that disappeared about 12 years ago :hillbilly:

Bought a new E-brake boot since I was in there, my old one was torn from when I first bought it.

026.JPG

007.JPG

003.JPG

Nice work on that install, Woodsman.

SNIP

View attachment 2138682
SNIP

I put my cupholders on the back side of the Tuffy.

RUjmXf.jpg

If you position the Tuffy right, the cupholders will clear the folded second row seats.

It's a little hard to see in this pic, but I used a piece cut from an old mudflap to fill the gap at the front.

ijw89O.jpg

Nice work on that install, Woodsman.

I put my cupholders on the back side of the Tuffy.

RUjmXf.jpg

If you position the Tuffy right, the cupholders will clear the folded second row seats.

It's a little hard to see in this pic, but I used a piece cut from an old mudflap to fill the gap at the front.

ijw89O.jpg

Nice install greentruck

Hmmm, I like where u mounted the fire extinguisher 🤔

It all went together slicker than a frogs belly ;)....got it painted to match interior and bolted in...just luv it!...it's a feral pig of a box.

Going to recover armrest pad to match seats or something close in colorish

034.JPG

036.JPG

009.JPG

008.JPG

016.JPG

a few more...

019.JPG

024.JPG

The 10" Tuffy console would have definitely not fit in my LX, glad I went with the 8" model

027.JPG

029.JPG

Those considering their own Tuffy install should note carefully the wide variety of positions in which it can be mounted. Front to back, up or down. And there are different widths. Some just need a locking box that is unobtrusive as possible. Some need a pl;ace to put their elbow. That's me, because of my flaky right shoulder. Others have different needs. Remember that a Tuffy is tough, so plan those holes for mounting stuff carefully, including mounting the box itself. If you need a good armrest, get it measured out right. If you end up with it as close as mine is and are tall, you pose a greater risk of banging the elbow on a box corner in turning the wheel rapidly, so watch out for that, too. Enjoy that Tuffy. It is rather feral, but you may need to leave stuff in your truck in a sketchy place and it serves you well until it's ever needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom