Truck jacked up, hubs locked, 4WD engaged but front wheels turn? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm kind of confused here. I'm rebuilding steering knuckles and am done with one side. But when I lock the hub and engage 4WD with truck jacked up the wheel spins freely. Did I do something wrong or is this normal? Sorry for dumb question I am a noob. The other side which I haven't started working on is also jacked up and the wheel spins when hubs are locked and 4WD engaged.

I noticed on the side that I finished - when I was putting the axle/birfield back in, I got it seated all the way, but was still able to freely rotated the birfield around. I was told this is fine, but I was expecting not to be able to rotate the axle/birfiled if spines were engaged and 4WD engaged. Obviously at that point the locking hub was off.

This is on an 84 solid axle btw. Thanks

Is the hub locked on the other side as well? If both front hubs aren't locked, what you describe will happen

Is the hub locked on the other side as well? If both front hubs aren't locked, what you describe will happen
Yes both sides are locked and in the air. 4WD engaged. Both sides spin freely. When I spin them something feels off too. Like I hear a noise in the axle and the wheel seems like it wants to rotate in the opposite direction that I am spinning it when I take my hands off.

I think I messed up when putting the axle back in. I got the birfield seated all the way back but was still able to rotate it, even when 4wd engaged. Not sure if that's normal. I tried for a long time to adjust it and couldn't get it to not rotate.

if the diff is open, the wheels turn.
Okay yeah it's a stock 84 solid axle. No locker installed. Is it an indiaction that 4wd is engaging if both wheels turn when I spin one of them while 4wd is engaged and hubs are locked. In 2wd if I spin one wheel the other does not move. Hoping that means everything is good. Thank you btw and sorry for the stupid questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom